Re: [ISN] Expert slams outlandish hacker claims

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 00:08:35 PDT

    Forwarded from: Dave Dittrich <dittrichat_private>

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, InfoSec News wrote:

    > Forwarded from: Lance Spitzner <lanceat_private>
    >
    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, InfoSec News wrote:
    >
    > > But Barrett, technical director at Information Risk Management,
    > > questioned how any hacker could own 600 computers at any one time.
    > >
    > >  From his experience working with the police, he said that hackers
    > > typically control no more than 12 systems at any time.
    > >
    > > "The sheer mechanics of 600 computers - no. How can you control 600
    > > computers?" he said.
    >
    > *sigh*
    >
    >        http://www.honeynet.org/scans/scan27/
    >
    > lance

    Lance points out a recent example this "expert" missed, but they go
    back even farther.  Networks of hundreds (more like 2000 - 3000) of
    computers in coordinated attacks were being used in 1999!

    http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/misc/trinoo.analysis.txt

    Other examples over the years...

    http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/misc/ddos/

    (I wonder if Robert has heard about Google yet? ;)

    --
    Dave Dittrich                           Computing & Communications
    dittrichat_private             University Computing Services

    PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt
    Fingerprint  FE97 0C57 0843 F3EB 49A1  0CD0 8E0C D0BE C838 CCB5

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.