[ISN] Update: Zone Labs Now Says It Will Patch Free Firewall

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 00:09:59 PDT

    By Mark Hachman
    July 3, 2003

    A spokeswoman for firewall manufacturer Zone Labs said the company has
    reconsidered a previous decision and will upgrade its free ZoneAlarm
    firewall software to address a vulnerability found this week.

    A patch to the free version of ZoneAlarm will be issued within two
    weeks, the company said. Earlier this week, company executives
    characterized the difficulty of exploiting the hole as "the equivalent
    of hacker brain surgery" and said the cost to upgrade a free product
    would be prohibitive.

    "Between the time we spoke with you and last night we found a way to
    block this in ZoneAlarm," a Zone Labs representative said in an email
    to ExtremeTech. "We can do this without creating greater complexity
    for our users or our support staff."

    Originally, Zone Labs said Tuesday that it would decline to fix the
    vulnerability reported to the BugTraq mailing list, as the company
    claimed the hole was a flaw in Windows, and not in its own software.

    On Thursday, Zone Labs changed its stance, claiming that any exploit
    that took advantage of the hole was still "theoretical", and that that
    to its knowledge no hacker had used the vulnerability to compromise a
    user's system.

    "Zone Labs will make a fix for its free ZoneAlarm product available in
    the next two weeks," the company said, in a statement that was also
    published to the BugTraq list late Wednesday night.

    "In the meantime, users of ZoneAlarm should keep in mind the following
    facts", Zone Labs added. "This vulnerability has not been exploited to
    our knowledge. This vulnerability requires that a malicious
    application is running on the affected PC. For this to occur, an
    attacker would have to break through the other protection layers of
    ZoneAlarm (firewall, stealth mode etc.) as a first step."

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.