Re: [ISN] Update: Money seen as biggest obstacle to effective IT security

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 01:32:41 PDT

    Forwarded from: Mark Bernard <mbernardat_private>

    Dear Associates,

    If you read between the lines this story really identifies the
    difference between a CISSP designation and a CISM designation. One
    designation is entirely solution oriented while the other is business
    oriented.

    The CISSP does not demonstrate the skills necessary to justify
    Information Security (InfoSec) to a business. So all those businesses
    rushing out to get staff with a CISSP designation without additional
    business management skills have shot themselves in the foot. Companies
    will not budget for InfoSec unless it is a legitimate business need
    and that means justification in business terms.

    Without justification businesses will continue to only budget for
    InfoSec positions assigned to larger non InfoSentric business units.
    Its not entirely managements fault because they truly believe that
    this will reduce the risk and take care of any problems that they
    might encounter. This is the way that traditional management has
    always dealt with more work, they hire more staff!

    This however is a short-term fix which is very apparent within this
    survey. Without adequate justification tied to strategic and tactical
    business objectives InfoSec budgets will continue to not get approved.
    After all, just because someone with a CISSP says that something needs
    to be attended to doesn't mean that the company will automatically
    open up the vault.

    Regards,
    Mark, CISM, CISSP.