[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - August 15th 2003

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 22:39:10 PDT

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
    |  August 15th, 2003                        Volume 4, Number 32a |

        Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
                     daveat_private     benat_private

    Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
    security vulnerabilitiaes that have been announced throughout the week.
    It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
    vulnerability.

    This week, advisories were released for lynx, zblast, perl, kernel,
    signal, iBCS2, ddskk, konquerer, man-db, xpcd, stunnel, postfix, and php.
    The distributors include Conectiva, Debian, FreeBSD, Gentoo, Red Hat,
    SuSe, Trustix, and TurboLinux.

    >> FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte <<
    Are you worried about your web server security?  Click here to get a FREE
    Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to all your Apache SSL
    security needs.

     Click Command:
     http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=vertad_thawteapache

    For many, it has been an eventful week.  Blaster has affected nearly every
    windows server on the net.  Although I'm sure many Linux administrators
    smirked while saying "not my servers," an equal number had "to deal with
    it."  Whether you maintain Windows boxes or not, there are several lessons
    to be learned.  First, as most readers of this newsletter are already
    aware, patching is critical.  Also, incident preparation is extremely
    important.  It is important to develop a weekly schedule where time can be
    allocated for regular server maintenance.  Also, a documented set of
    incident procedures should be written.  It is important to have emergency
    contacts and system procedures documented before an incident so that
    damage can be minimized.

    Last week I reviewed the O'Reilly book, Secure Coding: Principles &
    Practices.  I received several emails about the book including one from
    David Wheeler, author of the "Secure Programming for Linux and Unix
    HOWTO."  Because I've found this document helpful in the past, I thought
    that I should share it with you.  The latest PDF version of the document
    is 168 pages, written in twelve chapters.  It is distributed under the GNU
    Free Documentation License, therefore copying and distributing is
    perfectly legal.  In the past, I've sent previous versions of this
    document to friends who are full time software developers.  Everyone that
    has read this document has been impressed.

    The HOWTO includes chapters on input validation, avoiding buffer
    overflows, using system resources, as well as special topics that include
    passwords, random numbers, cryptography, and authentication.  The book
    also includes a chapter with specific information for popular languages
    such as C/C++, PERL, python, shell, Ada, Java, Tcl, and PHP.

    This HOWTO is worth the bandwidth!  Download it!  It is a great addition
    to last week's book because it focuses on many specific issues.  If you
    have a problem related to secure program to solve, this is definitely one
    of the first places you should check.

    http://www.dwheeler.com/secure-programs/

    Until next time,
    Benjamin D. Thomas
    benat_private

    Expert vs. Expertise: Computer Forensics and the Alternative OS

    No longer a dark and mysterious process, computer forensics have
    been significantly on the scene for more than five years now.
    Despite this, they have only recently gained the notoriety they
    deserve.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-147.html

    REVIEW: Linux Security Cookbook

    There are rarely straightforward solutions to real world issues,
    especially in the field of security. The Linux Security Cookbook is an
    essential tool to help solve those real world problems. By covering
    situations that apply to everyone from the seasoned Systems Administrator
    to the security curious home user, the Linux Security Cookbook
    distinguishes itself as an indispensible reference for security oriented
    individuals.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-145.html

    -->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
    -->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

    +---------------------------------+

       8/11/2003 - lynx
         CRLF injection vulnerability

         Ulf Harnhammar reported a CRLF  injection vulnerability in lynx.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/connectiva_advisory-3552.html

    +---------------------------------+

       8/8/2003 - 'man-db' vulnerability
         CRLF injection vulnerability

         The previous man-db update (DSA-364-1) introduced an error
         whichresulted in a segmentation fault in the "mandb" command, which
         runspart of the daily cron job.  This error was caused by allocating
         a memory region which was one byte too small to hold the data
         written into it.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3542.html

       8/8/2003 - 'xtokkaetama' buffer overflow
         CRLF injection vulnerability

         Another buffer overflow was discovered in xtokkaetama, involving
         the"-nickname" command line option. This vulnerability could
         be exploited by a local attacker to gain gid 'games'.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3543.html

       8/8/2003 - 'xpcd' buffer overflow
         CRLF injection vulnerability

         Steve Kemp discovered a buffer overflow in xpcd-svga which can
         be triggered by a long HOME environment variable.  This
         vulnerability could be exploited by a local attacker to gain root
         privileges.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3544.html

       8/11/2003 - zblast
         buffer overflow vulnerability

         Steve Kemp discovered a buffer overflow in zblast-svgalib, when
         saving the high score file.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3545.html

       8/11/2003 - pam-pgsql format string vulnerability
         buffer overflow vulnerability

         There is a vulnerability in pam-pgsql whereby the username to be
         used for authentication is used as a format string when writing a
         log message.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3546.html

       8/9/2003 - kdelibs-crypto multiple vulnerabilities
         buffer overflow vulnerability

         There are multiple vulnerabilities in kdelibs.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3547.html

       8/11/2003 - perl
         CGI.pm XSS vulnerability

         A cross-site scripting vulnerability exists in the
         start_form()function in CGI.pm.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3553.html

       8/14/2003 - kernel
         oops

         This advisory provides a correction to the previous kernel
         updates, which contained an error introduced in
         kernel-source-2.4.18 version2.4.18-10.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3554.html

    +---------------------------------+

       8/11/2003 - signal
         kernel vulnerability

         Some mechanisms for causing a signal to be sent did not
         properly validate the signal number, in some cases allowing the
         kernel to attempt to deliver a negative or out-of-range signal
         number.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/freebsd_advisory-3548.html

       8/11/2003 - iBCS2
         kernel vulnerability

         The iBCS2 system call translator for statfs erroneously used
         the user-supplied length parameter when copying a kernel data
         structure into userland.  If the length parameter were larger than
         required, then instead of copying only the statfs-related data
         structure, additional kernel memory would also be made available to
         the user.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/freebsd_advisory-3549.html

       8/12/2003 - kernel
         signal vulnerability

         Some mechanisms for causing a signal to be sent did not
         properly validate the signal number, in some cases allowing the
         kernel to attempt to deliver a negative or out-of-range signal
         number.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/freebsd_advisory-3555.html

    +---------------------------------+

       8/14/2003 - multiple
         vulnerabilities

         There are multiple vulnerabilities in Gentoo Linux source tree.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3556.html

    +---------------------------------+

       8/8/2003 - 'up2date' gpg signature verification vulnerability
         vulnerabilities

         up2date versions 3.0.7 and 3.1.23 incorrectly check RPM GPG
         signatures. These are the versions found in Red Hat Linux 8.0 and
         9.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3539.html

       8/11/2003 - ddskk
         tmp file vulnerability

         ddskk does not take appropriate security precautions when
         creating temporary files.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3550.html

       8/11/2003 - konquerer
         information disclosure vulnerability

         Konqueror may inadvertently send authentication credentials to
         websites other than the intended website inclear text via the
         HTTP-referer header.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3551.html

    +---------------------------------+

       8/12/2003 - kernel
         multiple vulnerabilities

         There are multiple vulnerabilities in the kernel.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-3557.html

    +---------------------------------+

       8/8/2003 - 'stunnel' DoS vulnerability
         multiple vulnerabilities

         Stunnel prior to 3.25 and 4.04 has an error in the SIGCHILD
         handling  code which could lead to a denial of service attack if
         the child  processes were terminated too fast.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-3540.html

       8/8/2003 - 'postfix' DoS vulnerability
         multiple vulnerabilities

         This patch fixes a denial of service condition in the Postfix
         smtpd,  qmgr, and other programs that use the trivial-rewrite
         service.  The problem is triggered when an invalid address
         resolves to an  impossible result. This causes the affected
         programs to reject the  result and to retry the trivial-rewrite
         request indefinitely.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-3541.html

       8/13/2003 - php
         XSS vulnerability

         An attacker could use this vulnerability to execute embedded scripts
         within the context of the generated page.
         http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/turbolinux_advisory-3558.html