[ISN] Police deny China hacking rumor

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 01:39:13 PDT

    http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2003/08/21/2003064581

    By Jimmy Chuang
    STAFF REPORTER
    Thursday, Aug 21, 2003

    The National Police Administration (NPA) yesterday denied reports that
    its computer system had been attacked by Chinese hackers and
    classified information stolen.

    "Access to our classified information requires several usernames and
    passwords. It has not been hacked or stolen by anybody," said Yang
    Chi-lin (·¨ÄQÅï), director of the NPA's Information Technology
    Department.

    Yang said that all the classified information was stored in a closed
    computer network that could not be accessed through the Internet.

    The classified information held on the NPA's computers includes
    documents and records such as vehicle registration information,
    information on vehicle owners and criminal records, Yang said. The
    only way to access the system and steal information is to do so from a
    terminal inside the NPA.

    Two Chinese-language news-papers reported yesterday that several
    unidentified Chinese hackers from Hubei Province began attacking the
    NPA's computer network and database in April.

    Yang denied that classified information had been accessed.

    "I can assure you that our national security was not breached and
    privacy was not invaded," he said.

    According to the reports, special agents from the Ministry of
    Justice's Bureau of Investigation spent three months identifying and
    locating the hackers and discovered that they were Chinese government
    officials.

    The NPA hired at least three local software companies to help rebuild
    the firewalls protecting its systems, the reports said.

    However, the Bureau of Investigation's Public Relations Department
    denied the reports.

    "We have never heard of such a thing and have never investigated or
    tried to locate any Chinese hackers. In addition, if somebody hacks
    government computer systems and breaches national security, the police
    will also investigate," it said in a press release.

    more than 120,000 computers worldwide, Yang said that the NPA's
    computer system was protected by the "McAfee 4286" anti-virus program.

    "Protecting our system from being attacked by hackers or computer
    viruses has always been our priority. And I can proudly say that my
    co-workers have performed well," Yang said.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.