[ISN] Windows & .NET Magazine Security UPDATE--August 20, 2003

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 01:40:25 PDT

    Windows Scripting Solutions
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ecQC0CJgSH0CBw0BBTy0A1

    ====================

    1. In Focus: Properly Timing Full Disclosure

    2. Security Risks
         - DoS in Cisco CSS 11000 Series Content Switches
         - DoS in Meteor FTP Server for Windows
         - Multiple Vulnerabilities in NetWin's SurgeLDAP
         - Multiple Vulnerabilities in CiscoWorks Common Management
           Foundation

    3. Announcements
         - Get the eBook That Will Help You Get Certified!
         - Active Directory eBook Chapter 3 Published!

    4. Security Roundup
         - Feature: Evaluating ICF
         - Feature: Security IS Your Concern

    5. Instant Poll
         - Results of Previous Poll: RPC/DCOM Probing
         - New Instant Poll: The RPC/DCOM Worms

    6. Security Toolkit
         - Virus Center
         - FAQ: How Do I Enable ICF?

    7. Event
         - New--Mobile & Wireless Road Show!

    8. New and Improved
         - Control Device Usage
         - Assess Web Security and Defend Servers
         - Submit Top Product Ideas

    9. Hot Threads
         - Windows & .NET Magazine Online Forums
             - Featured Thread: Help with Patch for MS03-026/Q823980I.exe
          - HowTo Mailing List:
             - Featured Thread: How to Verify Local Administrator
               Passwords

    10. Contact Us
       See this section for a list of ways to contact us.

    ====================

    ==== 1. In Focus: Properly Timing Full Disclosure ====
       by Mark Joseph Edwards, News Editor, markat_private

    Full disclosure has spurred hot security debates for years. As you
    know, the Organization for Internet Safety (OIS) has been leading the
    latest effort toward establishing a more responsible disclosure
    policy.

    In the past, I've advocated full disclosure for learning purposes--as
    have many security professionals. Although I knew that "black hats"
    use published code to wreak havoc on other people's systems, I saw a
    benefit in what legitimate scientific researchers ("white hats") could
    learn by having that code available. The trade-off seemed reasonable
    then, and it still does--but the timing of information release is
    obviously a problem.

    Now, even if somebody's published code can be useful (e.g., the code
    can show that a patch might be broken another way)--far more often
    than not, that benefit doesn't outweigh the danger of someone taking
    that code, twisting it into an attack mechanism, and unleashing it on
    the Internet shortly after the code is released. Clearly, the act of
    publishing such code only days after the problem has been reported is
    irresponsible, dangerous, and potentially damaging. Therefore, I want
    to make it clear that I don't condone such behavior, nor do I condone
    anyone's use of code for malicious purposes.

    Some full-disclosure proponents imply that users deserve to be
    attacked because they use Microsoft software and the software is full
    of security holes. That's just another jab at Microsoft. Other
    proponents maintain that users are responsible for their own problems
    because they should load available patches. However, as we know,
    And--although users do need to take responsibility for security--the
    latter attitude is a short-sighted way to address the victims of
    predators. Why not use the opportunity to teach people about better
    security?

    The remote procedure call (RPC)/Distributed COM (DCOM) worm (MBlaster)
    offers a good example of when loading a patch wasn't necessarily the
    best first step. For some people, loading the Microsoft patch might
    have actually been the slowest way to defend themselves; for others,
    the patch wasn't required at all. Also, many people didn't load the
    patch on their systems, yet their network Intrusion Detection System
    (IDS) didn't pick up any attempts of the worm trying to infiltrate.
    The worm might not have scanned that particular network address block
    looking for open systems, or those people might have defended
    themselves by other means, such as Network Address Translation (NAT),
    border firewalls, server firewalls, desktop firewalls, and antivirus
    software.

    In cases in which patches were required, we can't reasonably blame
    users for not patching their systems fast enough--because all users
    have their own issues. Also, not everybody uses the Internet
    constantly, and those who don't might not immediately come across the
    latest news of a security outbreak. Some home users might not turn on
    their computers daily or even weekly, and others are ignorant about
    many security problems and products, including firewalls and antivirus
    software. Whatever responsibility we assign to them for their own
    security, they should carry far less blame than the perpetrators.

    Some small office/home office (SOHO) users are in a similar
    predicament; they too might lack the knowledge to gauge the problem as
    well as the resources to become educated and to properly administer
    their networks. But they still need to be better protected through
    their own efforts and through responsible disclosure practices. Large
    enterprises probably have access to the personnel and know-how, but in
    any given instance, they might lack the resources to move as swiftly
    as they'd like.

    Obviously, something more must be done to help slow the initial
    release of malicious programs. Knowing that, I can immediately think
    of two ways (ideas that others have long held).

    The OIS is already taking steps to promote responsible disclosure,
    which includes limiting who has early access to working exploit code.
    I think that's a good step, but perhaps we can do more.

    Still, mailing lists and other types of discussion forums present a
    challenge. Some of these forums promote full disclosure with the
    intent of legitimate study. Even so, rogue elements are an
    ever-present problem. I question whether a truly responsible student
    of security would quickly post code (before users have time to become
    aware of the danger as well as ample time to protect themselves) to a
    forum in which rogue elements undoubtedly lurk.

    If people are responsible, they should try to find a safe outlet for
    the work they want to publish, one for which timing is a primary
    consideration. Although finding a safe outlet that considers timing
    paramount seems like common sense, I point out the need to do so
    because a few popular forums have long been used to publish security
    information--so much so that they're "traditional" elements in the
    security arena. The interchange among the forums' users is largely
    professional, the signal-to-noise ratio is low, and the discussions
    stay on topic. Most of you probably know which forums I'm talking
    about.

    Could the operators of those forums become a part of responsible
    disclosure by more carefully taking into consideration the need for
    adequate timing--despite the fact that allowing such posting has been
    longstanding policy? Even in instances in which the posted code is
    somehow "broken on purpose" to prevent the less educated from using it
    maliciously, it still presents a danger, especially when people don't
    consider timing. Let's face it, the worst offenders are smart, so
    posting broken code is irresponsible disclosure because sooner or
    later, some attacker will fix and use it. Let's not give them a head
    start.

    By limiting public disclosure of code (and command sequences) related
    to vulnerabilities, a line will begin to appear dividing responsible
    security students who do have the public interest entirely at heart
    from those who don't "get" the inherent dangers of some forms of open
    discussion when conducted at the wrong time. Security students can
    find other ways to conduct and discuss security vulnerability details
    without resorting to a public forum that anyone with an email address
    can join unchecked.

    ====================

    ==== Sponsor: Windows Scripting Solutions ====

       Windows Scripting Solutions for the Systems Administrator

       You might not be a programmer, but that doesn't mean you can't
    learn to create and deploy timesaving, problem-solving scripts.
    Discover Windows Scripting Solutions, the monthly print publication
    that helps you tackle common problems and automate everyday tasks with
    simple tools, tricks, and scripts. Try a sample issue today at:
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ecQC0CJgSH0CBw0BBTy0A1

    ====================

    ==== 2. Security Risks ====
       contributed by Ken Pfeil, kenat_private

    DoS in Cisco CSS 11000 Series Content Switches
       Cisco Systems' Cisco CSS 11000 series content service switches are
    vulnerable to a Denial of Service (DoS) condition. By delivering a
    heavy load of TCP SYN packets directed to the Cisco CSS's circuit
    address, a malicious user can cause a high CPU load or even sudden
    reboots, resulting in a DoS condition. Cisco recommends upgrading the
    software to release WebNS 5.00.110s, which you can download from the
    company's Web site.
       http://www.secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=39846

    DoS in Meteor FTP Server for Windows
       A Denial of Service (DoS) condition exists in Meteor FTP 1.5 for
    Windows. By connecting to the Meteor FTP server and issuing the USER
    command followed by large amounts of data, someone can cause the FTP
    server to stop responding.
       http://www.secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=39845

    Multiple Vulnerabilities in NetWin's SurgeLDAP
       Zive Kamir discovered four new vulnerabilities in NetWin's
    SurgeLDAP, the most serious of which could result in a Denial of
    Service (DoS) condition. NetWin recommends upgrading to the latest
    release of SurgeLDAP, which is available on the company's Web site.
       http://www.secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=39885

    Multiple Vulnerabilities in CiscoWorks Common Management Foundation
       Two vulnerabilities exist in Cisco Systems' CiscoWorks Common
    Management Foundation (CMF) 2.1 and earlier, the more serious of which
    could let an attacker execute arbitrary commands on the vulnerable
    server. Cisco has published a notice regarding these vulnerabilities
    and is making patches available for CMF 2.1 and CMF 2.0 free of charge
    through standard support channels.
       http://www.secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=39884

    ==== Sponsor: Virus Update from Panda Software ====

       Check for the latest anti-virus information and tools, including
    weekly virus reports, virus forecasts, and virus prevention tips, at
    Panda Software's Center for Virus Control.
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ecQC0CJgSH0CBw0BBlT0An

       Viruses routinely infect "fully protected" networks. Is total
    protection possible? Find answers in the free guide HOW TO KEEP YOUR
    COMPANY 100% VIRUS FREE from Panda Software. Learn how viruses enter
    networks, what they do, and the most effective weapons to combat them.
    Protect your network effectively and permanently - download today!
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ecQC0CJgSH0CBw0BBDp0Ab

    ====================

    ==== 3. Announcements ====
       (from Windows & .NET Magazine and its partners)

    Get the eBook That Will Help You Get Certified!
       The "Insider's Guide to IT Certification," from the Windows & .NET
    Magazine Network, has one goal: to help you save time and money on
    your quest for certification. Find out how to choose the best study
    guides, save hundreds of dollars, and be successful as an IT
    professional. The amount of time you spend reading this book will be
    more than made up by the time you save preparing for your
    certification exams. Order your copy today!
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ecQC0CJgSH0CBw06cX0AQ

    Active Directory eBook Chapter 3 Published!
       The third chapter of Windows & .NET Magazine's popular eBook
    "Windows 2003: Active Directory Administration Essentials" is now
    available at no charge! Chapter 3 looks at what's new and improved
    with Windows Server 2003 Active Directory management. Download it now!
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ecQC0CJgSH0CBw0BALs0Al

    ==== 4. Security Roundup ====

    Feature: Evaluating ICF
    cracking, Microsoft has included the bare-bones Internet Connection
    Firewall (ICF) with Windows XP Home Edition and XP Professional
    Edition. This firewall lacks many of the frills of commercially
    available personal firewalls, but if you configure it correctly, ICF
    can provide basic, one-way security protection against mischievous
    probes and malicious software (malware). The author discusses the ICF
    firewall and examines configuration settings that can maximize its
    effectiveness in your enterprise. ICF might not win any
    security-industry awards, but using it will make your PC and your
    network safer.
       http://www.secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=25727&pg=1

    Feature: Security IS Your Concern
       Even if security isn't your primary responsibility at your site,
    it's too important for you to ignore. We all need to take some
    responsibility for the security of our database systems, even if
    that's not our official job function. Brian Moran directs you to some
    best practices and guidelines that will to help you play a responsible
    role in your company's security.
       http://www.sqlmag.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=39842

    ==== 5. Instant Poll ====

    Results of Previous Poll: RPC/DCOM Probing
       The voting has closed in Windows & .NET Magazine's Security
    Administrator Channel nonscientific Instant Poll for the question,
    "Has your company experienced someone probing to determine whether
    your systems are vulnerable to a remote procedure
    call(RPC)/Distributed COM (DCOM) exploit?" Here are the results from
    the 196 votes.
       - 70% Yes
       - 17% No
       - 13% I'm not sure

    New Instant Poll: The RPC/DCOM Worms
       The next Instant Poll question is, "Now that remote procedure call
    (RPC)/Distributed COM (DCOM) worm variants have appeared, have they
    affected your network or systems?" Go to the Security Administrator
    Channel home page and submit your vote for a) Yes, b) No--We patched
    against it, c) No--We patched and used other defenses, or d) No--We
    used other defenses, but not the patch.
       http://www.secadministrator.com

    ==== 6. Security Toolkit ====

    Virus Center
       Panda Software and the Windows & .NET Magazine Network have teamed
    to bring you the Center for Virus Control. Visit the site often to
    remain informed about the latest threats to your system security.
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ecQC0CJgSH0CBw0BAeo0A7

    FAQ: How Do I Enable ICF?
       contributed by Microsoft

    A. Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) is built into Windows XP and
    Windows Server 2003. You'll find the dialog boxes that let you enable
    the firewall under the Network Settings in the Control Panel. You can
    also enable ICF using Active Directory (AD) Group Policy. For more
    step-by-step information about setting up ICF, visit Microsoft's Web
    site at the first URL below. For details about ICF features and known
    issues, visit the second URL below.
       http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/networking/icf.asp
       http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/icf.asp

    ==== 7. Event ====

    New--Mobile & Wireless Road Show!
       Learn more about the wireless and mobility solutions that are
    available today! Register now for this free event!
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ecQC0CJgSH0CBw0BA8Y0Az

    ==== 8. New and Improved ====
       by Sue Cooper, productsat_private

    Control Device Usage
       SmartLine announced DeviceLock 5.5, software that lets you restrict
    access to USB and FireWire (IEEE 1394) devices on Windows Server
    2003/XP/2000/NT. Following installation, you can assign the
    appropriate privileges to each user or user group for access to floppy
    drives, other removable media, CD-ROM drives, tape devices--or USB,
    FireWire, infrared (IR), and serial and parallel ports. DeviceLock
    lets you control when, how, and which users can use various devices
    inside your network. You can also use DeviceLock 5.5 to flush a
    storage device's buffers. The price is $35 for a single user license.
    Contact SmartLine at sales@protect-me.com.
       http://www.protect-me.com

    Assess Web Security and Defend Servers
       NTOBJECTives released the Fire & Water Toolkit 1.02 to help you
    discover and map your network architecture, pinpoint Web servers
    vulnerable to attack, protect against the highest-risk Web
    vulnerabilities, and provide comprehensive HTML reporting with data
    trending. Methods employed include Web server fingerprinting to
    identify Web server platforms regardless of banner or stack
    manipulation; advanced page proofing to determine whether a requested
    resource is on the target or has been designed to return custom error
    messages; and smart vulnerability selection to select and execute only
    the vulnerabilities relevant to each target, according to the accurate
    identification of your Web server platform. The Fire & Water Toolkit
    1.02 is free for personal use; for enterprise users, the cost is $199
    per user or $999 for an unlimited enterprise license. Contact
    NTOBJECTives at 949-635-0981 or infoat_private
       http://www.ntobjectives.com

    Submit Top Product Ideas
       Have you used a product that changed your IT experience by saving
    you time or easing your daily burden? Do you know of a terrific
    product that others should know about? Tell us! We want to write about
    the product in a future What's Hot column. Send your product
    suggestions to whatshotat_private

    ==== 9. Hot Threads ====

    Windows & .NET Magazine Online Forums
       http://www.winnetmag.com/forums

    Featured Thread: Help with Patch for MS03-026/Q823980I.exe
       (Nine messages in this thread)

    A user writes that he has a Dell server running Windows NT 4.0 Server
    with Service Pack 6a (SP6a). When he tries to execute hotfix
    Q823980I.exe, which is related to Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026
    (Buffer Overrun In RPC Interface Could Allow Code Execution) on his
    server, he receives two error messages. First, a message box appears
    with a red X and the words "Setup Error - The operation completed
    successfully." After clicking the OK button, which is the only option,
    he receives a second setup error box with a red X and the message
    "Windows NT 4.0 Hotfix installation did not complete." His only option
    at that point is to again click the OK button. So, the patch isn't
    loaded and isn't applied.

    Dell Custom Factory Integration installed NT 4.0 Server with SP6a when
    the organization purchased the server, which is identical to his other
    server on which he deployed the patch with no problem. Does anyone
    have any idea what went wrong on this particular server? He has tried
    shutting down all applications and all unnecessary NT services, but
    that did not help. Lend a hand or read the responses:
       http://www.winnetmag.com/forums/rd.cfm?cid=42&tid=62281

    HowTo Mailing List
       http://63.88.172.96/listserv/page_listserv.asp?s=howto

    Featured Thread: How to Verify Local Administrator Passwords
       (Six messages in this thread)

    A user writes that he's attempting check whether the local
    administrator password is different from one of five possible
    passwords, and he wants to output the list of noncompliant machines to
    a text file. He wants to know about tools, scripts, or insights into
    how to accomplish these tasks. Lend a hand or read the responses. The
    thread begins at the first URL below and continues at the second URL.
       http://63.88.172.96/listserv/page_listserv.asp?A2=IND0308A&L=HOWTO&P=193
       http://63.88.172.96/listserv/page_listserv.asp?A2=IND0308B&L=HOWTO&P=193

    Ultrabac
       FREE live trial-Backup & Disaster Recovery software w/ encryption    http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ecQC0CJgSH0CBw0BBi50AF

    CrossTec
       Free Download - NEW NetOp 7.6 - faster, more secure, remote support    http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ecQC0CJgSH0CBw0BBnb0A4

    About sponsoring Security UPDATE -- emedia_oppsat_private

       This email newsletter is brought to you by Security Administrator,
    the print newsletter with independent, impartial advice for IT
    administrators securing Windows and related technologies. Subscribe
     today.
       http://www.secadministrator.com/sub.cfm?code=saei25xxup

    Thank you!