Re: [ISN] towards a taxonomy of Information Assurance

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 00:25:11 PDT

    Forwarded from: Freddie Beaver <frebea44at_private>

    ok, Mark, please be kind to academia :-)

    Academic research needs to take the obvious, scrutinize it to pieces,
    and attempt to statistically validate it or hopefully find a
    questionable flaw that will give fodder for a dissertation or
    tenure-required publishing. In this process someone may actually
    "improve the wheel".

    I side with you on the fact that practitioners don't need to spend
    time creating their own taxonomies when CC, Cobit, etc are available,
    but the academics are required to. I should know, I've been on all
    three sides of the fence: academia, corporate, and defense!

    FYI for all:  I'm looking into doing a statistical (scientific)
    validation of Cobit. If anyone knows of any pre-existing studies or
    survey instruments related to it, I would appreciate the feedback.

    Beav

    Freddie E. Beaver
    6167 Lakefront Dr. N.
    Horn Lake, MS 38637