Re: [ISN] ISPs Could Block Ports to Reduce Spread of Malware (2 messages)

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 00:32:57 PDT

    Forwarded from: Tony | AVIEN / EWS <tonyat_private>

    I agree with the proposal. I just recently proposed something similar
    in an article on my site.

    I think that the impact would be minimal as the ports recommended for
    blocking are not commonly used across the Internet.

    I do agree that users should be primarily responsible for securing
    their computers- however that isn't always feasible. Some of the
    recent patches for Windows 2000 for example require Service Pack 2.
    Service Pack 2 is 100Mb and takes almost an entire day to download via
    56k dial-up connection- which a majority of home users still have. So,
    while home users SHOULD be responsible for securing their computers,
    vendors should not write such flawed software that it takes patches
    and updates that are almost as big or bigger than the original
    application they are fixing.

    For cases like these, it is my opinion that the vendors should be
    required to partner with retail outlets and fund the burning and
    distribution of free CD's. Microsoft offers the larger updates on CD,
    but they charge for the disc plus shipping & handling. As a user I
    take offense that they would want another $20 from me to fix the
    flawed product I already paid for. Retail outlets like Best Buy,
    CompUSA or even Target and Walmart should be set up to download and
    mass produce the updates on CD's and distribute them free of charge to
    anyone who asks- let the vendor foot the bill to finance the
    operation.

    Given that the majority of the home user market is on dial-up and
    can't reasonably download and apply the prerequisites for the current
    patches, it is unreasonable to put the burden on them.

    The ISP's should be taking proactive measures- including blocking
    these ports- to protect themselves and their patched paying customers
    from the unpatched customers. Even though I have all of the patches
    and updates I was still affected by the amount of traffic on my ISP's
    network from the infected customers. The network was effectively shut
    down from the volume of traffic. As a paying customer who did what I
    was supposed to do to protect myself, I expect my ISP to do what they
    are supposed to do to protect the whole network.

    Tony Bradley, CISSP, MCSE2k, MCSA, MCP, A+
    About.com Guide for Internet / Network Security
    http://netsecurity.about.com

    -=-