[ISN] Taking the Security Message to the Suits

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 22:24:14 PDT

    By Dennis Fisher
    October 15, 2003

    CHICAGO - Where does the security buck stop? All of the certifications
    and training in the world won't make any difference to the security of
    corporate networks if senior managers and top executives don't
    understand the problems and requirements faced by security
    professionals, a consultant and former CIO said in a Wednesday keynote
    speech here at the Security Decisions 2003 conference.

    "We don't have to make the CISSPs [certified information systems
    security professionals] smarter, we need to make the suits less dumb,"
    said Thornton May, a member of the executive education faculty at the
    University of California at Los Angeles and a futurist who spends much
    of his time speaking with CIOs at large corporations. "Right now, they
    just don't understand what the problems are. They're coming out of
    business school not knowing that information security is important. We
    have to change that."

    In order to do that, May said colleges and universities need to do a
    better job of instilling in students the importance of security. He
    suggested that business school students be required to pass an exam of
    their knowledge of safe computing practices.

    "We can't continue to barf out uneducated graduates into the world,"
    May said. "We need to make grads pass a safe computing test.
    Otherwise, we're in trouble."

    But May didn't let the assembled security professionals in the
    audience off the hook, either. May said they need to include
    management and executives in discussions about why certain security
    technologies are necessary and what benefits they will provide to the
    organization. Simply creating a wish list of products and handing it
    over to the decision-makers is counterproductive, May argued.

    "Nobody likes an expert. You have to give [executives] something to
    do," he said.

    Michael Rasmussen, an analyst with Forrester Research who spoke after
    May, agreed that security professionals need to make it easier for
    executives to understand the complexity and challenges of their jobs.

    "If you go in there talking about polymorphic buffer overflows and IDS
    evasion, you're going to lose them," said Rasmussen, director of
    research for information security at Forrester.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org