[ISN] Windows & .NET Magazine Security UPDATE--December 31, 2003

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 00:24:14 PST

    Windows & .NET Magazine VIP Web Site/Super CD
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ed7T0CJgSH0CBw0BEMw0Am

    ====================

    1. In Focus: What's in Store for 2004?

    2. Announcements
         - Take Our Print Publications Survey!
         - 2004 Dates Announced: Connections Conferences

    3. Security News and Features
         - Recent Security Vulnerabilities
         - News: Open-Source Patch for IE?
         - News: XP SP2 Beta: Deploying ICF
         - Feature: OWA Attachment Security

    4. Instant Poll
         - Results of Previous Poll: Your Web Browser
         - New Instant Poll: System Security in 2004

    5. Security Toolkit
         - Virus Center
         - FAQ: What's the Best Way of Assigning Permissions to Users and
           Groups in Windows 2000 and Later?
         - Featured Thread: GPO Startup Script

    6. Event
         - New--Microsoft Security Strategies Roadshow!

    7. New and Improved
         - Secure Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB, and FireWire Devices
         - Tell Us About a Hot Product and Get a T-Shirt!

    8. Contact Us
       See this section for a list of ways to contact us.

    Web site/Super CD. You'll get online access to all of our
    publications, a print subscription to Windows & .NET Magazine, and a
    subscription to our VIP Web site, a banner-free resource loaded with
    articles you can't find anywhere else. Click here to find out how you
    can get it all at 25% off!

       by Mark Joseph Edwards, News Editor, mark@private

    >From a security standpoint, 2003 ended with a few events that I found
    notable. Several key companies consolidated: Check Point Software
    Technologies bought Zone Labs, Shavlik Technologies bought Gibraltar
    Software, VeriSign bought Guardent, and EMC bought VMware. Each
    acquisition will have a significant impact on the security market.
       http://www.checkpoint.com/press/2003/zonelabs121503.html
       http://www.shavlik.com/press_releases/nr%20gibraltar%20release%20final%2012-16-03.pdf
       http://verisign.com/corporate/news/2003/pr_20031217.html?sl=070807
       http://www.emc.com/news/press_releases/viewUS.jsp?id=1970

    Also of note are a couple of Microsoft events: On December 17, the
    company posted the beta version of its upcoming Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    for Windows XP on its Betaplace Web site (you must be a beta team
    member to access the Web site). The service pack promises to
    significantly improve the security of the XP OS. Microsoft also
    released a related document to help users deploy XP's Internet
    Connection Firewall (ICF) in enterprise network environments. You can
    read more about the latter in the related news story, "XP SP2 Beta:
    Deploying ICF," in this edition of the newsletter.
       http://www.betaplace.com

    So what's in store for 2004? Although that's anybody's guess, I can
    make a few reasonable predictions based on industry hot spots and sore
    spots. I'll bet we see some significant events centered on patch
    management, junk email, viruses and worms, and managed security
    services.

    I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the volume of complaints
    about patch management is second only to the volume of complaints
    about the security of a given product. Patches are "good things";
    however, applying patches in a given network environment isn't
    necessarily simple. Better tools are required. In 2004, I think we'll
    see both Microsoft and third-party patch solution vendors involved in
    some major development work in this area. I wouldn't be surprised to
    see Microsoft acquire a patch solution company in the next year or
    two.

    New antispam laws are on the US law books now, and we know about two
    people who were recently charged with felonies for specific email
    abuses. We'll probably see more spammers criminally prosecuted in
    2004, but the question remains whether such prosecutions will bring
    any real reduction of junk email. One effect of the new laws we
    probably will see is more spammers moving their operations offshore.

    One of the biggest security problems we'll probably all face in 2004
    is malicious users propagating major viruses and worms perhaps even
    more severe than MSBlaster, Slammer, and SoBig. Such events will wreak
    havoc on users everywhere. However, one or two more major incidents
    will also put greater pressure on ISPs, both large and small, to step
    forward and help stem the flow in some long-term fashion. How could
    ISPs help? I don't know of any ISPs that require customers to maintain
    both firewalls and antivirus software. Perhaps ISPs will begin to make
    firewalls and antivirus software mandatory for all customers who
    expect to use connection services.

    All of which leads me to another significant area for security in 2004
    and beyond: managed security services. We'll surely see increased
    activity in managed security services as companies try to offset their
    expenses while reducing their level of risk and liability. As more
    companies move toward outsourcing their security needs through such
    services, security administrators will probably have to make changes
    to remain competitive in the workforce--whether they stay inside or
    move outside their current organizations. For example, they might take
    on additional responsibilities, such as more generalized network
    administration; move into business management positions or consulting;
    or seek employment at managed security services companies.

    If you have additional ideas about elements of the security arena that
    seem ripe for major movement or change in 2004, I'd like to hear about
    them. Send me an email with your thoughts. In the meantime, I wish you
    all a happy and secure new year.

    ====================

    ==== 2. Announcements ====
       (from Windows & .NET Magazine and its partners)

    Take Our Print Publications Survey!
       To help us improve the hardware and software product coverage in
    the Windows & .NET Magazine print publications, we need your opinion
    about which products matter most to you and your organization. The
    survey takes only a few minutes to finish, so share your thoughts with
    us at
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ed7T0CJgSH0CBw0BEE10AU

    2004 Dates Announced: Connections Conferences
       Save these dates: Windows & .NET Magazine Connections will be held
    April 4-7, 2004, in Las Vegas, Nevada. Microsoft ASP.NET Connections,
    Visual Studio Connections, and SQL Server Magazine Connections will
    run concurrently on April 18-21, 2004, in Orlando, Florida. Early
    registrants will receive the best discounts, so go online or call
    203-268-3204 or 800-505-1201 to register.
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ed7T0CJgSH0CBw0qSH0Aj

    ====================

    ==== Sponsor: Virus Update from Panda Software ====

       Are your traditional antivirus solutions really protecting your
    network? Panda Antivirus GateDefender is a dedicated hardware device
    installed at the Internet gateway to block viruses before they
    contaminate your network. It scans 7 different communication
    protocols, achieving optimum protection against external attacks.
    Panda Antivirus GateDefender 7100 (25-500 seats) & Panda Antivirus
    GateDefender 7200 (500 seats+) provide the highest scalability with
    native load balancing that transparently adapts to traffic volume.
       Visit "Panda's GateDefender Stands Guard!" at
    http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ed7T0CJgSH0CBw0BEGa0AK
    for more information.

    ====================

    ==== 3. Security News and Features ====

    Recent Security Vulnerabilities
       If you subscribe to this newsletter, you also receive Security
    Alerts, which inform you about recently discovered security
    vulnerabilities. You can also find information about these discoveries
    at
       http://www.winnetmag.com/departments/departmentid/752/752.html

    News: Open-Source Patch for IE?
       As we reported in a previous news story ("Flaw in Internet Explorer
    Makes Spoofing Easier"), researchers discovered a flaw in Microsoft
    Internet Explorer (IE) 6.0, IE 5.5, and IE 5.01 that could trick users
    into visiting a Web site they didn't intend to visit. The Microsoft
    article "Steps that you can take to help identify and to help protect
    yourself from deceptive (spoofed) Web sites and malicious hyperlinks"
    ( http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833786 ) outlines various steps
    that users can take to mitigate such risks. However, Opensoft, an
    open-source software (OSS) group, has produced a third-party patch for
    the flaw. Openwares.org published the patch on its Web site.
       http://secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=41266

    News: XP SP2 Beta: Deploying ICF
       Microsoft has posted the Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) beta to
    its Betaplace Web site. The new service pack promises to enhance the
    security of the OS in several key ways, one of which is with
    enhancements to the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). To supplement
    the beta, Microsoft also published a new white paper, "Deploying
    Internet Connection Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with
    Service Pack 2," which helps explain how to deploy ICF in a network
    environment.
       http://secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=41220

    Feature: OWA Attachment Security
       Outlook Web Access (OWA) is a terrific tool for giving users remote
    access to their mailboxes. However, when users open attachments from
    computers that you don't control, they run the risk of accidentally
    disclosing sensitive information. You should teach OWA users not to
    open OWA attachments on public machines. However, just in case users
    open attachments despite your warnings, OWA 2003 includes several
    security features to help mitigate the risk. Learn about them in Paul
    Robichaux's article on our Web site.
       http://secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=41265

    ====================

    ==== 4. Instant Poll ====

    Results of Previous Poll: Your Web Browser
       The voting has closed in the Windows & .NET Magazine Network
    Security Web page nonscientific Instant Poll for the question, "Which
    browser does your company use as its primary Web interface?" Here are
    the results from the XXX votes.
       - 76% Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE)
       - 13% Mozilla
       - 10% Opera
       -  2% Other
    (Deviations from 100 percent are due to rounding.)

    New Instant Poll: System Security in 2004
       The next Instant Poll question is, "Which of the following factors
    do you think will have the greatest impact on system security in
    2004?" Go to the Security Web page and submit your vote for a) Viruses
    and worms, b) Junk email, c) Patch management, or d) Managed security
    services.
       http://www.winnetmag.com/windowssecurity

    ==== 5. Security Toolkit ====

    Virus Center
       Panda Software and the Windows & .NET Magazine Network have teamed
    to bring you the Center for Virus Control. Visit the site often to
    remain informed about the latest threats to your system security.
       http://www.winnetmag.com/windowssecurity/panda

    FAQ: What's the Best Way of Assigning Permissions to Users and Groups
    in Windows 2000 and Later?
       by John Savill, http://www.winnetmag.com/windowsnt20002003faq

    A. In general, the best way to assign permissions is by performing the
    following steps:
       1. Assign user accounts to global groups within the user's domain.
       2. Place global groups from any domain into universal groups.
       3. Place universal groups into domain local groups on the domain
    controllers (DCs), and place local groups on member servers and
     workstations.
       4. Assign permissions to the domain local groups or local groups as
    necessary to access the network resources.

    One advantage of establishing this hierarchy is that universal group
    memberships are unlikely to change because they contain only global
    groups. A good way to remember this hierarchy is to use the following
    mnemonic device:

       All Good Users Do Love Permissions

    Accounts are placed in global groups, global groups are placed in
    universal groups, universal groups are placed in domain local groups,
    and domain local groups are assigned permissions.

    Featured Thread: GPO Startup Script

    A user writes that he uses the following command in a startup script:

       "NET LOCALGROUP ADMINISTRATORS AM_AGCYARLFCNDA_G@private /ADD >>
    D:\PROD\util\agcycnda.log 2>>&1"

    The global group is in the root domain. The Group Policy Object (GPO)
    that runs this script is in a child domain. The command is duplicated
    in multiple organizational units (OUs), with the only difference that
    the group name changes to correspond to the tech support group for
    that OU. When this command is processed on some servers, it works
    fine. However, for some OUs, the command doesn't work at all--even
    though security is the same and the command runs under the localsystem
    user security context. The user sees the problem in one particular
    domain and can't reproduce it in other environments. He wants to know
    whether anyone else has had a similar problem. Lend a hand or read the
       http://www.winnetmag.com/forums/rd.cfm?cid=42&tid=66105

    ==== 6. Event ====

    New--Microsoft Security Strategies Roadshow!
       We've teamed with Microsoft, Avanade, and Network Associates to
    bring you a full day of training to help you get your organization
    secure and keep it secure. You'll learn how to implement a
    patch-management strategy; lock down servers, workstations, and
    network infrastructure; and implement security policy management.
    Register now for this free, 20-city tour.
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ed7T0CJgSH0CBw0BELe0AT

    ==== 7. New and Improved ====
       by Jason Bovberg, products@private

    Secure Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB, and FireWire Devices
       SmartLine released DeviceLock 5.51, a security solution that lets
    you restrict access to 802.11b (aka Wi-Fi), Bluetooth, USB, and
    FireWire (IEEE 1394) devices on Windows Server 2003/2000/XP. With
    DeviceLock, you can control which users can access certain devices on
    a local computer. You don't need to physically remove or block
    hardware. You need only install the software and assign appropriate
    privileges to each user or user group. You can control user access to
    floppy drives and other removable media; CD-ROM drives and tape
    devices; WiFi and Bluetooth adapters; and USB, FireWire, infrared
    (IR), serial, and parallel ports. DeviceLock costs $35 for a
    single-user license. You can download a free, fully functional
    demonstration version from the company Web site. For more information
    about DeviceLock 5.51, contact SmartLine at 866-668-5625 or on the
    Web.
       http://www.devicelock.com

    Tell Us About a Hot Product and Get a T-Shirt!
       Have you used a product that changed your IT experience by saving
    you time or easing your daily burden? Tell us about the product, and
    we'll send you a Windows & .NET Magazine T-shirt if we write about the
    product in a future Windows & .NET Magazine What's Hot column. Send
    your product suggestions with information about how the product has
    helped you to whatshot@private

    ===================

    NetSupport
       Free Trial - Fast and Easy Network Management. - NetSupport DNA
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/DM/y/ed7T0CJgSH0CBw0BEOp0Ah

    This email newsletter is brought to you by Security Administrator, the
    print newsletter with independent, impartial advice for IT
    administrators securing Windows and related technologies. Subscribe
    today.
       https://secure.pentontech.com/nt/security/index.cfm?promocode=00&Code=ei25xxup

    Copyright 2003, Penton Media, Inc.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org