[ISN] 'Homeless hacker' says he'll accept plea bargain

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 02:40:24 PST

    http://news.com.com/2100-7348_3-5135351.html

    By Declan McCullagh
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    January 5, 2004

    Adrian Lamo, the so-called homeless hacker accused of breaking into
    The New York Times' computer network, is planning to appear in court
    Thursday to accept a plea bargain.

    Lamo, who is facing a pair of federal felony charges for allegedly
    breaking into The Times' network and running up the bill on a
    subscriber-only news-archiving service, surrendered to the FBI in
    September and is out on bail.

    In a telephone interview Monday, Lamo said the plea bargain could
    include a sentence of six months of home detention. Under federal
    guidelines, a judge has significant discretion in sentencing a
    defendant, and the plea agreement does not include a specific
    recommendation.

    "The alternative would essentially destroy my family," Lamo said,
    adding that, "I've always said that for every action I've ever taken,
    I'm willing to own up to the consequences."

    Lamo's court-appointed public defender, Sean Hecker, confirmed that a
    court hearing for a plea bargain was scheduled for Thursday but would
    not provide details about the proposed agreement. The hearing is
    scheduled for 11:30 a.m. EST before U.S. District Judge Naomi Buchwald
    in New York, Hecker said.

    Lamo is known for his homeless-hacker lifestyle. Before the courts
    ordered him to return to the Sacramento, Calif., area to live with his
    parents, Lamo had no fixed address and instead wandered around the
    United States on Greyhound buses, sleeping on friends' couches and,
    when necessary, staying in vacant or derelict buildings.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org