[ISN] [Vmyths.com ALERT] Absurd MyDoom damage values

From: InfoSec News (isn@private)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 01:49:30 PST

    Forwarded from: Vmyths.com Virus Hysteria Alert <vmyths_news@private>

    Vmyths.com Virus Hysteria Alert
    {2 February 2004, 22:05 CT}

    In our previous Hysteria Alert, we predicted "someone will soon
    declare a 'guesstimate' damage value for the MyDoom virus/worm,
    strictly for its PR value."  Vmyths named mi2g as one of the more
    dubious candidates.

    mi2g played its PR card with a wag of $38.5 billion in global damages.
    We dismiss it as completely absurd.  mi2g's guesstimate is:

       * 1.6% of the U.S. federal budget proposed for the next fiscal year;
       * 40% of the damage to New York City on 9/11/01; and
       * more than double the cost of Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

    mi2g has pulled PR stunts since 1999 on an almost regular basis.
    See http://Vmyths.com/resource.cfm?id=64&page=1 for a critical look at
    the firm's shenanigans.

    Unfortunately, gullible reporters have already started to latch onto
    this latest PR stunt.  The Web Host Industry Review, for example,
    published it in breathless tones.  Vmyths believes major media outlets
    will fall like dominoes -- mi2g's declaration is simply too large for
    them to ignore.

    It sounds incredible to say it, but mi2g now demands money if you want
    to read press releases associated with their PR stunts.  You'll pay
    "£29.38 (including taxes)" just to read their "$38.5 billion" press
    release, for example.

    Visit http://www.mi2g.com/cgi/mi2g/press/010204.php if you don't
    believe us.

    We asked it before and we'll ask it again.  Why do British fearmongers
    so often give guesstimates in U.S. dollars?

    mi2g has threatened to sue Vmyths for libel
    (see http://Vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=497&page=4 for details) and this
    Hysteria Alert may lead to a renewed effort to crush us.  For the
    record: we stand by our criticisms of mi2g.  However, Vmyths prides
    itself for an industry-leading "corrections & clarifications" page.
    Anyone may write to VeaCulpa@private to contest our claims &
    accusations.

    Anyone may visit http://Vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=470&page=4 to rebut our
    opinions & criticisms.

    Do the math.  Stay calm.  Stay reasoned.  And stay tuned to Vmyths.

    Rob Rosenberger, editor
    http://Vmyths.com
    (319) 646-2800

    Acknowledgements:
    Mary Landesman, http://antivirus.about.com

    Remember this when virus hysteria strikes
    http://Vmyths.com/resource.cfm?id=31&page=1

    Common clichés in the antivirus world
    http://Vmyths.com/resource.cfm?id=22&page=1

    False Authority Syndrome
    http://Vmyths.com/fas/fas1.cfm

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org