[ISN] SAP admits 'inappropriate downloads' from Oracle

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2007 - 22:31:22 PDT

http://news.com.com/SAP+admits+inappropriate+downloads+from+Oracle/2100-1014_3-6194666.html

By Dawn Kawamoto
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
July 3, 2007

SAP has acknowledged in a court filing that its TomorrowNow subsidiary
engaged in "inappropriate downloads" of Oracle's proprietary fixes and
support documents.

SAP, a German-based enterprise software applications giant, also noted
in its filing late Monday that the U.S. Justice Department has requested
documents from the company and Texas-based TomorrowNow. SAP said it is
cooperating.

The company made the filing in response to a lawsuit that rival Oracle
filed in March. In the suit, Oracle alleged that third-party support
company TomorrowNow engaged in more than 10,000 illicit downloads, in
which it accessed more information than it was entitled to receive when
acting on behalf of its customers who were using Oracle applications.
Oracle said that, in some cases, TomorrowNow downloaded materials
unrelated to the type of software that a particular TomorrowNow customer
was running and, in other cases, presented Oracle support materials as
its own.

SAP issued an apology and said it has taken action to resolve the issue.

"Even a single inappropriate download is unacceptable from my
perspective. We regret very much that this occurred," Henning Kagermann,
SAP's chief executive, said in a statement. "When I learned what
happened, I promptly took action to strengthen operational oversight at
TomorrowNow while assuring that we maintain excellent service for
TomorrowNow's customers going forward."

SAP appointed SAP America Chief Operating Officer Mark White as
TomorrowNow's executive chairman to manage the company's operations and
compliance programs. Andrew Nelson, TomorrowNow's chief executive, will
report to White.

"We have no evidence that Andrew was aware of these inappropriate
downloads," Kagermann said in an analyst and press conference call
Tuesday morning. The internal investigation is continuing.

"I told my people to do as much as possible," Kagermann said. "It's
important to get entire clarity (of the situation)." SAP said that
existing and new policies will be enforced at TomorrowNow, and that it
will renew training for employees.

The company also noted that SAP and SAP America did not have access to
Oracle's intellectual property via TomorrowNow, because its subsidiary
operates on a separate system and the information is not shared.

"We don't think a jury is likely to think much of the argument that the
activity was confined to a subsidiary--and that as a result SAP should
be less culpable," Pat Walravens, an analyst with JMP Securities, said
in a research note. "SAP argues that this conduct is not the same as
'corporate theft'--again, we think a jury might think the TomorrowNow
conduct seems very much like corporate theft."

Walravens noted that the SAP-TomorrowNow debacle will be a "net
positive" for Oracle, which generates $10 billion a year in support and
maintenance fees.

SAP's battle with perception

One analyst noted that while SAP has a reputation of being a credible
company, it will have to work hard to reassure customers.

"It's up to SAP to make sure that customers feel that doing business
with them is not a mistake," said Peter Kuper, a Morgan Stanley analyst.
"If they can't assure them, there could be a backlash, but this is not a
catastrophic event that they can't recover from."

Oracle, in response, said its lawsuit provided the means to explore the
extent of the issue.

"SAP CEO Henning Kagermann has now admitted to the repeated and illegal
downloading of Oracle's intellectual property. Oracle filed suit to
discover the magnitude of the illegal downloads and fully understand how
SAP used Oracle's intellectual property in its business," Geoff Howard,
Oracle's outside counsel, said in a statement.

Oracle and SAP are fierce competitors in the applications market, as
well as in the lucrative support and maintenance arena.

SAP acquired TomorrowNow in 2005, shortly after Oracle acquired
PeopleSoft and J.D. Edwards. TomorrowNow provides third-party
maintenance and support to PeopleSoft and J.D. Edwards customers.

SAP and TomorrowNow launched a major marketing campaign to woo away
Oracle customers, soon after its rival completed its major acquisition.

Honeywell and Merck, for example, signed up for TomorrowNow's services.
But, according to SAP's court filing, TomorrowNow used customers' Oracle
licenses and passwords to download materials unrelated to the licenses
they held, unbeknownst to those customers.

SAP also admitted in its court filing that portions of TomorrowNow's
PeopleSoft Daylight Saving Time offering is "substantially similar and
in some instances identical" to Oracle's DST offering.

"Defendants further aver that while (TomorrowNow) TN referred to
Oracle's 'DST Solution' during the course of researching and preparing
TN's PeopleSoft Daylight Savings Time solution, TN also conducted its
own independent research," according to the filing.

The PeopleSoft Daylight Saving Time solution features written materials
on how to address daylight saving time when using PeopleSoft
applications. TomorrowNow plans to discontinue the use of the materials
where it is found to be similar or identical to Oracle's DST.

SAP and Oracle will have a case management hearing September 4 in the
U.S. District Court for Northern California.

Copyright 1995-2007 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.

Attend Black Hat USA, July 28-August 2 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security
experts. Featuring 30 hands-on training courses and
90 Briefings presentations with lots of new content
and new tools. Network with 4,000 delegates from
70 nations.   Visit product displays by 30 top
sponsors in a relaxed setting. Rates increase on
June 1 so register today. http://www.blackhat.com