[ISN] The Black Market Code Industry

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 03:43:36 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/127/nexttech-fear-of-a-black-hat.html

By Adam L. Penenberg
Fast Company
Issue 127 | July 2008

Inside the shadowy underworld where rogue employees sell holes in their
companies' software. The buyers: security firms, mobsters, and --
surprise -- the U.S. government.

Juergen Marester, a 24-year-old French network consultant, needed seed
capital to start his own computer-security company. So he turned to his
off-hours hobby -- black-hat hacking -- and did what a growing number of
hackers are doing: selling "0days" (pronounced "oh-days" or "zero days,"
it generally refers to unknown, or zero-hour, software threats). These
are recipes and code for penetrating the software run by governments,
corporations, and private citizens. When properly deployed, 0days can
result in minor disruptions such as a Web site's temporary paralysis. At
their extreme, they grant an attacker total control over a network.

In August 2007, Marester announced on a popular computer-security forum
that he had 0days for Linux, HP-UX (the computer maker's popular Unix
database software), Microsoft Windows, and Apache. "Please let me
message by mail if you are interested," he typed. By mid-September, he
also offered 0days for SAP, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft's Office 2003 and
2007, and Internet Explorer. "For any interest, please mail me to this
adress [sic]. Good bye and have a good day."

The posts weren't unusual for this forum, except, perhaps, for their
politeness. They provide a window into a thriving black market for
hackerware, where computer-security firms, mobsters, corporate spies,
cybercrime rings, and government agents rub shoulders with code jockeys
looking to score quick bucks. Any company or government entity running
popular programs, such as the ones on Marester's list of targeted
software, is at risk, and governments -- both allies and enemies of the
United States -- are among the biggest buyers. According to the
Electronic Frontier Foundation, as a general rule, it isn't illegal to
offer vulnerabilities (the holes in software) and exploits (the code
that does the actual penetration) for sale. What's different about
Marester's case, as I would learn, is that the seller worked for one of
the companies whose code he promised to compromise.

I first learned of Marester from an American computer-security
consultant, who had been taken aback by the sheer number of 0days --
some of them very powerful -- that Marester was hawking. In the interest
of protecting his own clients, the security professional and some
colleagues posed as buyers and, over the course of four months, won the
hacker's confidence. Eventually, Marester revealed his true identity in
order to collect his bounty. The security pros, who requested anonymity
for this article, turned over their evidence to me, including an
extensive email trail.

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA, August 2-7 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security experts.
Featuring 40 hands-on training courses and 80 Briefings
presentations with lots of new content and new tools.
Network with 4,000 delegates from 50 nations.
Visit product displays by 30 top sponsors in
a relaxed setting. http://www.blackhat.com