[ISN] Hacker with a conscience

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 04:18:06 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20080703061212942C901462

By Lee Rondganger
Independent Online
July 03 2008

For more than two years, Alistair Peterson headed an elaborate online
bank-hacking syndicate.

He was the thorn in the side of South Africa's four giant banks whose
top cyber experts were left red-faced every time he hacked through
several security features and accessed their "secure" banking accounts.

In a single day on December 24 2005 he swiped R9,8-million from the
account of a government department. It was his first hack ever.

When he was eventually caught two years and two months later he had
stashed R17-million in a bank account in Swaziland.

Peterson says he never took money from the personal accounts of
individuals - his targets were always big business, trust funds and
corporate accounts.

"I never needed the money, I was a software architect for a computer
company where I was earning R80 000 a month. What I was doing was just
for fun. It was the thrill of being able to do it," he said.

Because of the complex structure of the syndicate, Peterson got only a
quarter of what they stole - and that was if his "e-mules" didn't
double-cross him and run off with all the money.

Peterson - who has a BSc degree in computer sciences from Rand Afrikaans
University - developed a virus called Regger.W32, which he programmed to
maliciously spread itself from computer to computer, installing spyware
as it went along.

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA, August 2-7 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security experts.
Featuring 40 hands-on training courses and 80 Briefings
presentations with lots of new content and new tools.
Network with 4,000 delegates from 50 nations.
Visit product displays by 30 top sponsors in
a relaxed setting. http://www.blackhat.com