[ISN] Cyberwar isn't a grand struggle - it's a scary prospect of pure chaos

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 00:08:27 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/aug/21/blogging.internet

By Bobbie Johnson
The Guardian,
August 21 2008

When Russian tanks rolled into Georgia, it brought back memories of
Soviet-era military conquest - a reminder of the cold war. But whether
by accident or design, the fight for South Ossettia appears to have
given us a taste of the future as well, with internet attacks on
Georgian computer systems resulting in theories about 21st-century
warfare spilling out everywhere. The BBC said the situation represented
a "virtual echo of battles being fought on the ground", while
Slate.com's Evgeny Morozov even enlisted as a Russian cybersoldier to
see what was really happening. But while the past fortnight has seen
plenty of conjecture, there's been very little hard evidence about the
conflict that's taking place in cyberspace.

We do know a few things, though. After the military situation escalated,
some prominent Georgian websites came under attack - though right now we
cannot quite be sure where the strikes came from. We also know that the
Georgian government enlisted the help of the regional experts in Estonia
(themselves hardly bosom pals with Russia) as well as using the might of
Google as a deterrent by shifting some important government websites on
to Blogger.com.

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2008 - Malaysia! With
a new triple-track conference featuring 4 keynote
speakers and over 35 international experts, this
is the largest network security event in Asia and
the Middle East!
http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2008kl/