[ISN] Exploit Lab 3.0 comes to Hack in The Box

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 03:39:32 -0500 (CDT)
The Exploit Lab 3.0 Comes to Hack in The Box

Buffer overflows and remote exploits still remain the most wondrous and
devastating of attacks. For years, security analysts have been playing
with exploits that yield them a rootshell. The Exploit Laboratory brings
the "rocket science" of reverse engineering and exploit writing in an
easy to understand two day class at Hack In The Box 2008. Started by
Saumil Shah of Net-Square and S.K.Chong of Scan Associates, the Exploit
Laboratories has been taught at Blackhat, Hack in the Box, CanSecWest
and many other security conferences worldwide to sold-out audiences.

The class' popularity lies in the fact that it brings the concepts down
to easy hands-on examples featuring real life software as opposed to
contrived textbook examples. Participants begin with simple overflows on
Windows and Linux and are brought up to speed with exception handler
overwrites, heap overflows, exploiting toolbars on IE7, bypassing Vista
ASLR, and more, featuring recent software vulnerabilities out in the
wild.

For the first time this year, the Exploit Laboratory features hands on
Mac OS X exploitation. Saumil and S.K. strive to keep the class current.
Things have come a long way since the class was first offered in early
2006. The Exploit Laboratory has kept pace with the times, with a
continually updated syllabus and up-to-date examples of vulnerabilities.

It entirely depends upon the participants how much they wish to absorb
out of the class. Both instructors are highly experienced security
professionals with over nine years of experience in the industry, many
public contributions, books and papers. The format of the Exploit
Laboratory is "learn as you play along". Participants are expected to
bring their own laptops to class. Everything happens hands-on.

The Exploit Laboratory requires its participants to sign a code of
ethics agreement to promote vulnerability discovery and responsible
disclosure.

Some comments from past students on The Exploit Laboratory:

Garrett Gee writes: "Wow, what a weekend I just had. I just finished the
exploit laboratory class with Saumil Shah and S.K. Chong at Black Hat
USA 2007. We covered exploit topics like stack and heap overflows on
linux and windows systems. At the end of the course, I think we
developed ten exploits for various applications. I loved their teaching
format of explaining the exploit concept, then stepping us through a
real exploit, and then letting us do one ourselves. A major difference
from the ImmunitySec course I took a few years ago was that they told us
how to make the application crash in the first place. This saved lots of
time and allowed us to focus on how to gain full control of the
application, and how to pack our payloads."

http://garrettgee.com/2007/07/30/black-hat-exploit-laboratory/

Tate Hansen writes: "If you want to bump up your exploit writing skills
– Saumil Udayan Shah is an excellent teacher. His style of teaching
brought out memories of my time as an ECE student at CU, Boulder. He
presented very clearly, kept the pace moving, and quipped often. Great
class. The majority of time is spent on using GDB and WinDBG to inspect
Intel 32-bit x86 CPU registers for opportunities. The end game was
always accompanied by netcat and metasploit (along with a decent amount
of scripting to facilitate quick retries when trying to line up all the
exploit code to ensure success)."

http://blog.clearnetsec.com/articles/2006/08/07/the-exploit-laboratory-class-at-blackhat-training-was-great

More details on the class can be found on the Hack In The Box 2008
conference page at: http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2008kl

Register now for HITBSecConf2008 - Malaysia! With
a new triple-track conference featuring 4 keynote
speakers and over 35 international experts, this
is the largest network security event in Asia and
the Middle East!
http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2008kl/