[ISN] Banks home in on security breach

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 03:39:45 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.thenational.ae/article/20080916/BUSINESS/75296675/1041/OPINION

By Hugh Naylor and H Michael Jalili
The National
September 16. 2008

An investigation by financial institutions into a recent security breach
of private ATM card data points to the problem originating with one
UAE-based bank, according to people familiar with the investigation into
the problem.

Sensitive information including personal identification numbers (PINs)
and data from the black magnetic strip on the back of cards was stolen
from the bank and then used to make large numbers of fraudulent
transactions, mainly from other countries.

“We’re quite close to having completed the case for the prosecution,”
said one banker, who spoke only on the condition neither he nor his bank
be identified. “And we have a fairly clear idea of how this has
occurred.”

Bankers believe that thieves breached a network that banks use to share
ATM data. That exposed most, if not all, banks in the UAE to the fraud.

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2008 - Malaysia! With
a new triple-track conference featuring 4 keynote
speakers and over 35 international experts, this
is the largest network security event in Asia and
the Middle East!
http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2008kl/