[ISN] Two reasons to worry about city’s WiFi connections

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 03:38:04 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Two-reasons-to-worry-about-city-s-WiFi-connections/371583

Express News Service
Oct 10, 2008

Pune, October 9 First, hacking is easy, detection difficult

The recent hacking of Wi-Fi connections by terrorists has underscored
the difficulty in securing such networks. “Unlike bomb blasts carried
out by terrorists, hacking is a hidden and difficult-to-trace activity.
Tampering into others’ computer systems does not leave any tangible
trace,” said Sudam Choure, chief coordinator of Pune police’s cyber
committee.

“There is nothing like ‘ethical hacking’. People with a criminal intent
can easily get trained in ‘ethical hacking’ and use their knowledge for
criminal activities,” Choure said.

Mansoor Asghar Peerbhoy, the IT executive arrested from the city, has
been described as the head of an Indian Mujahideen module that hacked
Wi-Fi networks to send Terror mails before and after serial blasts. He
had taken up a course in ethical hacking.

Deputy Commissioner of police (cyber crime) Rajendra Dahale agreed. “Use
of Wi-Fi technology for crime is increasing, as it is difficult to trace
the hackers.”

The police have started encouraging IT firms to secure their Wi-Fi
networks. Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh said, “We have urged them
to be alert and take measures to secure their Wi-Fi networks.”

Choure suggested that audits of systems security be carried out at
regular intervals. “The intelligence of hackers can never be
underestimated. Security systems should go through a number of layers to
check the authenticity of the user. That could curb hacking to some
extent,” he said.

One can hack into a system from a cyber café and the Pune Central Cyber
Café Association has tried to put a safeguard in place. Association
president Rahul Pokale said, “We don’t let any user inside a café
without first asking for an identity proof such as a driving licence or
PAN card, with the person’s photograph on it. We keep a photocopy. If
anyone refuses to produce such proof, we not only deny them access but
sometimes even inform the police if the customer is adamant.”

At the Balewadi sports complex, the police said the Fi connections are
well-protected. “We willl not allow visitors, expect authorised
journalists and VIPs, to carry laptops into the sports complex,” the
Commissioner of Police said.

Register now for HITBSecConf2008 - Malaysia! With
a new triple-track conference featuring 4 keynote
speakers and over 35 international experts, this
is the largest network security event in Asia and
the Middle East!
http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2008kl/