[ISN] Metasploit Hacking Tool Now Open for Licensing

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 03:38:26 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=165636

By Kelly Jackson Higgins
Senior Editor
Dark Reading
OCTOBER 9, 2008

The wildly popular Metasploit hacking tool for the first time is now
officially open source, open-license technology that can be incorporated
into commercial tools.

The free research and penetration testing tool historically has had
restricted, non-commercial licensing so that it could only be used by
researchers or in-house penetration testers -- not repackaged,
redistributed, or sold. But in the new version 3.2 -- due later this
month in its final version -- Metasploit project lead HD Moore and his
team have transformed Metasploit into an official open source project,
complete with a BSD 3-Clause license arrangement that allows others to
sell, rename, or “fork” the code in another direction.

Rich Mogull, founder of Securosis, says this will provide more options
in the penetration testing market. “Choice increases, and potentially
the pace of development. But it also means people need to be careful...
The Metasploit team has done a heck of a good job on quality, which
isn't guaranteed as people take it in new directions,” Mogull says.
“Also, we'll likely see commercial products that are just wrappers of a
system that already has a good UI [user interface]. Some will advance
the product, but many won't. Me, I'll stick with whatever HD is running
for now, but we might see some interesting offshoots over time.”

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2008 - Malaysia! With
a new triple-track conference featuring 4 keynote
speakers and over 35 international experts, this
is the largest network security event in Asia and
the Middle East!
http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2008kl/