[ISN] Easter Bunny Continues to Compromise US Military Computers

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 01:26:22 -0600 (CST)
Forwarded from: "J. Oquendo" <sil (at) infiltrated.net>

More humorous news from the "Chinese invades the US Infrastructure"
front. I don't know about anyone else, but imagine me stating: "I saw
Tom Jones steal my car but I can't be sure it was Tom Jones... Or even
my car", would you say I was insane? I know if I read that, I would
think the writer suffered from multiple personality disorder. I'd think
the writer would have deep rooted psychological issues and a vividly
UNCLEAR grasp of reality. So today's quote:

  "This wasn't the first such cyberattack, and officials said that
  earlier incarnations of the virus had exported information such as
  convoy and troop movements here. It was not clear precisely what
  information, if any, was being pulled from Department of Defense
  computers by this latest virus, they said. [1]"

Wait a minute... Did they or didn't they, are you sure or unsure. Was it
China or was it the Easter Bunny? Surprisingly, news agencies are all
over the place with this entire fiasco. Here we have the press stating
"Chinese Moo Goo Gai Pan Hackers are pwning the US Government!" while in
the same breathe they're saying: "Russian Vodka Drinking Hackers are
pwning the US Government!"

  A Defense Department source said that the attack was significant and
  got everyone's attention. It is not clear if the malware was created
  by an individual hacker or whether the Russian government may have
  had some involvement. [2]

The problem with news regarding breaches in the US Government is, it
emphasizes the fact that - the US Government really has no clue as to
who is attacking and or compromising their networks. At this point
whoever seems to be an enemy shall be labeled so irrespective of any
valid proof. Iraq + Yellow cake anyone? All is generally speculation at
this point. On the one hand we have them stating: "Tom Jones stole the
car, but we can neither confirm that Tom Jones stole the car!" In a
court of law wouldn't this be double jeopardy?

http://www.infiltrated.net/?p=122

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
J. Oquendo
SGFA, SGFE, C|EH, CNDA, CHFI, OSCP

"Each player must accept the cards life deals him
or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone
must decide how to play the cards in order to win
the game." Voltaire

227C 5D35 7DCB 0893 95AA  4771 1DCE 1FD1 5CCD 6B5E
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5CCD6B5E

Help InfoSecNews.org with a donation!
http://www.infosecnews.org/donate.html