[ISN] DARPA Unveils Cyber Warfare Range

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 03:07:49 -0600 (CST)
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/DARP12308.xml&headline=DARPA%20Unveils%20Cyber%20Warfare%20Range

By David A. Fulghum
AviationWeek.com
Dec 30, 2008

Cyber weapon researchers worry that pieces of the digital warfare puzzle
are still missing, in particular projection of new threats that foes may
throw at the U.S. But U.S. Defense Department researchers may have an
answer in the form of a new proving grounds of sorts.

“Who’s looking at what’s coming next?” asks Rance Walleston, director of
BAE Systems’ Information Operations Initiative. “That’s still weak.”

Already, “we are seeing the threats shifting,” says Aaron Penkacik,
director of BAE Systems’ Collaborative Technology Alliance that works
with small companies and universities around the world to create and
developed specialized materials and technologies. “As you go into a new
theater of operations, you see [advanced communications and new uses for
networks] pop-up everywhere. The threat is there, ad-hoc, undefined and
asymmetric. So you have to stand up your capability quickly to defend
and fight your networks.”

The BAE executive says the ramifications are already playing out in real
ways. “It’s changing the way we think about deploying software-defined
radios,” he says by way of example. “We’re using common modules that
have software functions that are adaptable in real time as the threat
changes.”

And today, as there are specialized test ranges for all types of radars
and weapons, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has
funded a new program called the National Cyber Range. So far they’ve
awarded a six-month, paid proposal phase contract to a number of
contractors.

“They’re going to build an environment where we can play around and
begin looking at ‘anticipated’ problems,” Walleston says. “What’s
they’re saying is that we need the equivalent of a White Sands [Missile
Range] for cyber war. We have bits and pieces of range all over the
place, but nothing definitive. This will be [the premier] cyber range
where you can bring all your tools and techniques and try them out in an
environment that closely resembles the real world.”

[...]

Please help InfoSecNews.org with a donation!
http://www.infosecnews.org/donate.html