[ISN] Lockheed, Boeing Tap $11 Billion Cybersecurity Market

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 03:08:00 -0600 (CST)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=an2_Z6u1JPGw

By Gopal Ratnam
Bloomberg.com
Dec. 30, 2008

Lockheed Martin Corp. and Boeing Co., the world’s biggest defense
companies, are deploying forces and resources to a new battlefield:
cyberspace.

The military contractors, eager to capture a share of a market that may
reach $11 billion in 2013, have formed new business units to tap
increased spending to protect U.S. government computers from attack.

Chicago-based Boeing set up its Cyber Solutions division in August
“because of a realization by the company that it’s a very serious
threat,” Barbara Fast, vice president of the unit, said in an interview.
“It’s not a question of if we’ll be attacked but when and so how will we
be prepared.” Lockheed launched its cyber-defense operation in October.

President George W. Bush announced a national cybersecurity plan in
January to be supervised by the Department of Homeland Security, after
an increasing number of attacks on U.S. government and private sector
networks by groups linked to foreign governments, organized crime gangs
and hackers. In a Dec. 8 report, a panel of experts said President-elect
Barack Obama should create a White House office to oversee the effort.

“The whole area of cyber is probably one of the faster-growing areas” of
the U.S. budget, Linda Gooden, executive vice president of Lockheed’s
Information Systems & Global Services unit, said in an interview. “It’s
something that we’re very focused on. I expect there will be a
significant focus” under Obama.

[...]

Please help InfoSecNews.org with a donation!
http://www.infosecnews.org/donate.html