[ISN] UK site offers bounty for DDoS attackers

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 02:10:55 -0600 (CST)
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39599492,00.htm

By Matthew Broersma
ZDNet.co.uk

A UK-based online computer reseller has offered a 10,000 reward for
assistance in convicting those responsible for a sustained
distributed-denial-of-service attack on the site.

Overclockers.co.uk (OcUK), which doubles as a technology-enthusiast site
and as a reseller of computer goods, said the attack has disrupted its
retail and forums servers for more than 10 days.

In a forum post [1] on Wednesday, the company said it would pay the
reward for information that could be used by the Serious Organised Crime
Agency (Soca) to bring a conviction.

"Instigating these kind of attacks is a serious criminal offence and,
whilst we have strong suspicions who is behind them, we need more
evidence," the company stated.

OcUK said the attacks had disrupted server uptime but had not
compromised site security.

[1] http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17967175

[...]

Best Selling Security Books &amp; More!