[ISN] Obama plan says cyber infrastructure is 'strategic'

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 02:11:17 -0600 (CST)
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/012309-obama-plan-says-cyber-infrastructure.html

By Robert McMillan
IDG News Service
01/23/2009

The Obama administration has published a high-level plan to protect U.S.
computer networks, saying it considers cyber infrastructure "a strategic
asset" and will appoint a cyber adviser who will report directly to the
president.

The six-point outline was published Wednesday as part of a paper
detailing the new administration's position on homeland security. Also
planned is a "safe computing R&D effort" to build the next generation of
security features into computers, and plans to fight cyber-espionage and
cybercrime by cracking down on "untraceable Internet payment schemes."

The administration also wants to develop standards for securing data and
making companies disclose data breaches, something that is governed by a
patchwork of state laws at present.

The plan largely reflects a cybersecurity strategy that U.S. President
Barack Obama first outlined in a July 16 campaign speech.

"We know that cyber-espionage and common crime is already on the rise.
And yet while countries like China have been quick to recognize this
change, for the last eight years we have been dragging our feet," Obama
said, according to a transcript of the speech. "As President, I'll make
cyber security the top priority that it should be in the 21st century."

[...]

Best Selling Security Books &amp; More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/