[ISN] Veteran NASA hacker catcher says lay off Gary

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 02:11:33 -0600 (CST)
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/561/1050561/veteran-nasa-hacker-catcher-lay-gary

By Mark Ballard
The Inquirer

BRITISH AUTHORITIES should not allow Pentagon Hacker Gary McKinnon to be
extradited to the US unless they want him to suffer inhumane treatment,
a retired agent who investigated hackers for the mysterious NASA Office
of Inspector General writes in THE INQUIRER today.

Joseph Richard Gutheinz, Jr., now a practising defence lawyer and tutor,
retired from NASA with commendations for his OIG work exposing $200
million of frauds, leading a Federal task force of nine agencies,
catching astronaut impersonator Jerry Whittredge, and rooting out
smugglers of multi-million dollar rocks collected from the moon.

He's spent years bagging criminals, is a member of the Republican
National Lawyers Association, and told the INQ that if malicious hackers
got access to US NASA and military secrets, it could "undermine the free
world".

Yet he thinks Gary McKinnon should not be extradited to face hacking
charges in the US.

Here's why:

    I am retired NASA Office of Inspector General Senior Special Agent.
    I have seen the harm that illegal hacking has caused. I was even
    trained by the United States Government to hack into computers to
    understand the psyche and techniques used by hackers.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books &amp; More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/