[ISN] Squaddies hit by online chat ban

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 04:26:51 -0600 (CST)
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/article2240705.ece

By TOM NEWTON DUNN
Defence Editor
The Sun

ARMY chiefs have sparked a mutiny by banning soldiers from networking
websites like MySpace.

Angry squaddies told The Sun last night they will defy the ruling.

Online chats are now branded "public disclosure of information" - a
potential security breach.

Soldiers are also barred from blogging, joining in forum discussions or
taking part in online multiplayer games.

But troops are upset because they use MySpace and other sites like
Facebook when abroad to keep in touch with loved ones.

An NCO in Afghanistan said: "The fun police have taken over. I can't
talk to my wife and kids or even play Call of Duty 5. Do they really
think we're going to give away secrets?"

[...]

Best Selling Security Books &amp; More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/