[ISN] White House Issues Interim Statement On Cybersecurity Review

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 04:30:26 -0600 (CST)
http://www.darkreading.com/security/government/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=215800529

By Tim Wilson
DarkReading
Mar 04, 2009

Will the Obama administration appoint a cybersecurity czar or leave
things status quo? Will there be a new push to protect computer systems
that operate the country's critical infrastructure? Your guess is as
good as ours, but a 60-day review of the situation is under way and
scheduled to be completed in late April.

Yesterday John Brennan, assistant to the president for Homeland Security
and counterterrorism, issued the following update on the 60-day
cybersecurity review. It doesn't offer much new information, but it does
suggest that the administration's online security plans may be laid out
as soon as next month. Here's Brennan's full statement:

Council and Homeland Security Council are presently conducting a 60-day
review of the plans, programs, and activities underway throughout the
government that address our communications and information
infrastructure (i.e., cyberspace). The purpose of the review is to
develop a strategic framework to ensure that our initiatives in this
area are appropriately integrated, resourced and coordinated both within
the Executive Branch and with Congress and the private sector.

"Our nation's security and economic prosperity depend on the security,
stability, and integrity of communications and information
infrastructure that are largely privately-owned and globally-operated.
Safeguarding these important interests will require balanced decision
making that integrates and harmonizes our national and economic security
objectives with enduring respect for the rule of law.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/