[ISN] I-Team Report: Code Red

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 04:30:38 -0600 (CST)
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/iteam&id=6691718

[Backround on Hanjuan Jin,
  http://www.infosecnews.org/hypermail/0804/14642.html
  http://www.infosecnews.org/hypermail/0809/15374.html
  http://www.infosecnews.org/hypermail/0806/15007.html  - WK]

By Chuck Goudie
WLS
March 4, 2009

When the I-Team first reported on Hanjuan Jin about a year ago, she had
been charged with stealing technical secrets from her employer,
Motorola, for the purpose of selling them to a competitor in her native
China.

This has become even more serious. It's a case of 'code red' as federal
authorities have now essentially accused Jin of spying for the Chinese
military.

Goudie: "The federal government is saying basically that you're a
corporate spy. What about that?
Jin: No I'm not. I'm not. I'm not.
Goudie: You're not a spy?
Jin: They made a mistake."

Last spring, when we met Hanjuan Jin near her suburban home, she denied
being a technology thief while employed here at Motorola headquarters in
Schaumburg.

Indeed, federal prosecutors say Ms. Jin had a more critical role.

According to a superseding indictment, Jin engaged in economic espionage
intended to benefit the People's Republic of China.

In the new charges, Jin is accused of possessing Motorola engineering
information that would benefit the Chinese military and that in 2006
after stealing top secret Motorola files, schematics and military
communication plans she made a bee-line for Beijing.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/