[ISN] Kremlin-backed youths launched Estonian cyberwar, says Russian official

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:29:39 -0600 (CST)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/11/russian_admits_estonian_ddos/

By Dan Goodin in San Francisco
The Register
11th March 2009

Members of a Kremlin-backed youth group spearheaded the cyberattacks
that paralyzed Estonia's internet traffic in May of 2007, a Russian
government official has admitted.

Until recently, Russia has denied any involvement in the DDoS (or
distributed denial of service) attacks, which followed a diplomatic row
between the two countries. But in an interview with The Financial Times,
a "commissar" in a Kremlin-backed youth group known as Nashe
unapologetically said he and other associates were behind the month-long
assault.

"I wouldn't have called it a cyber attack; it was cyber defence," the
official, Konstantin Goloskokov, told the paper. "We taught the Estonian
regime the lesson that if they act illegally, we will respond in an
adequate way."

Applying what can fairly be described as twisted logic, Goloskokov
continued: "We did not do anything illegal. We just visited the various
internet sites, over and over, and they stopped working. We didn't block
them: they were blocked by themselves because of their own technical
limitations in handling the traffic they encountered."

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/