[ISN] Kremlin Kids: We Launched the Estonian Cyber War

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 02:28:13 -0600 (CST)
http://blog.wired.com/defense/2009/03/pro-kremlin-gro.html

By Noah Shachtman
Danger Room
Wired.com
March 11, 2009

Like the online strikes against Georgia, the origins of the 2007 cyber
attacks on Estonia remain hazy. Everybody suspects the Russian
government was somehow behind the assaults; no one has been able to
prove it. At least so far. A pro-Kremlin youth group has taken
responsibility for the network attacks. And that group has a track
record of conducting operations on Moscow's behalf.

Nashi ("Ours") is the "largest of a handful of youth movements created
by Mr. Putin’s Kremlin to fight for the hearts and minds of Russia’s
young people in schools, on the airwaves and, if necessary, on the
streets," according to the New York Times.

Yesterday, one of the group's "commissars," Konstantin Goloskokov
(pictured), told the Financial Times that he and some associates had
launched the strikes. "I wouldn't have called it a cyber attack; it was
cyber defense," he said. "We taught the Estonian regime the lesson that
if they act illegally, we will respond in an adequate way." He made
similar claims, in 2007.

If true, it would be only one in a long string of propaganda drives the
group has waged in support of the Kremlin. Not only has Nashi waged
intimidation campaigns against the British and Estonian ambassadors to
Moscow, and staged big pro-Putin protests. Not only has been it been
accused of launching denial-of-service attacks against unfriendly
newspapers. Last month, Nashi activist Anna Bukovskaya acknowledged that
the group was paid by Moscow to spy on other youth movements. The
project, for which she was paid about $1100 per month, included
obtaining "videos and photos to compromise the opposition, data from
their computers; and, as a separate track, the dispatch of
provocateurs," she told a Russian television channel.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/