[ISN] Security breach results in no charges in Clark County

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 02:15:30 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.newsandtribune.com/clarkcounty/local_story_114135356.html

By DAVID A. MANN
The News and Tribune
April 24, 2009

No charges will be filed against an employee who installed suspicious
programs on computers in the auditor’s office in Clark County.

In an e-mail, prosecutor Steve Stewart said the results of a sheriff’s
department investigation was turned over to him Tuesday.

“I agree with [Sheriff Danny Rodden’s] assessment that while the actions
may have been a violation of county policy, they do not constitute a
crime and no criminal charges will be filed,” Stewart said.

Two programs —Cane & Abel and LCP — were found on the computers. The
programs can be used to breach security and discover user passwords on
the county’s network, county systems administrator Matt Dyer previously
wrote in an e-mail to commissioners.

Rodden conducted the investigation over the last two weeks and turned it
over to the prosecutor as well as county Commissioner Ed Meyer.

“Nothing was compromised and our safeguards worked,” Meyer said.

[...]

--
LayerOne 2009, Information Security for the discerning professional.
May 23-24 2009 @ The Anaheim Marriott in Anaheim, California