[ISN] Cyber-Scare - The exaggerated fears over digital warfare

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 02:47:40 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.bostonreview.net/BR34.4/morozov.php

By Evgeny Morozov
Boston Review
July/August 2009

The age of cyber-warfare has arrived. That, at any rate, is the message
we are now hearing from a broad range of journalists, policy analysts,
and government officials. Introducing a comprehensive White House report
on cyber-security released at the end of May, President Obama called
cyber-security “one of the most serious economic and national security
challenges we face as a nation.” His words echo a flurry of gloomy
think-tank reports. The Defense Science Board, a federal advisory group,
recently warned that “cyber-warfare is here to stay,” and that it will
“encompass not only military attacks but also civilian commercial
systems.” And “Securing Cyberspace for the 44th President,” prepared by
the Center for Strategic and International Studies, suggests that
cyber-security is as great a concern as “weapons of mass destruction or
global jihad.”

Unfortunately, these reports are usually richer in vivid metaphor—with
fears of “digital Pearl Harbors” and “cyber-Katrinas”—than in factual
foundation.

Consider a frequently quoted CIA claim about using the Internet to cause
widespread power outages. It derives from a public presentation by a