[ISN] Heartland Data Breach: Institutions Still Feel the Sting

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 04:41:54 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/articles.php?art_id=1568

By Linda McGlasson
Managing Editor
Bank Infosecurity
June 23, 2009

A Tampa, FL-based credit union has notified 56,000 members that their
Visa check cards were exposed to fraud as a result of the Heartland
Payment Systems (HPY) data breach announced back in January.

Suncoast Schools Federal Credit Union discovered only at the end of May
that some of its customers could be in danger from the payments
processor breach in which customer account data from millions of credit
and debit card transactions was exposed. The credit union is issuing new
cards to all members whose accounts were compromised. Fewer than 1,000
members were actually affected by fraud as of last week, according to
Melva McKay-Bass, senior vice president of member service operations for
Suncoast.

Suncoast Schools FCU, with 450,000 members, has 50 locations in central
Florida and reported nearly $5.9 billion in assets in 2008.

The credit union began notifying members via mail in the first week of
June, says McKay-Bass. "It was not a Suncoast exclusive event, nor was
it through any fault of our own," McKay-Bass told the St. Petersburg
Times. "It was not anything that we had done wrong."

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News security bookstore!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org