[ISN] Tracing attack source key to cybersecurity strategy, Chertoff says

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 00:18:32 -0600 (CST)
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9165638/Tracing_attack_source_key_to_cybersecurity_strategy_Chertoff_says?taxonomyId=17

By Jaikumar Vijayan
Computerworld
March 3, 2010

SAN FRANCISCO -- The difficult task of identifying the true sources of
cyber attacks remains one of the biggest challenges in the development
of a national cybersecurity strategy, former Department of Homeland
Security Secretary Michael Chertoff told Computerworld in an interview
at the RSA Security conference here today.

Chertoff, who is participating in a panel discussion at the conference,
said there is a growing need for the U.S to create a strong, formal
strategy for responding to cyberattacks against American interests.

Such a strategy would need to clearly articulate possible U.S. responses
to attacks, which could include diplomatic and other tools.

Chertoff noted that by comparison, physical attacks are relatively easy
to track down and respond to. "In the Cold War we could attribute an
attack. It was clear where it came from and we could respond," he said.

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/