[ISN] Nation's cybersecurity suffers from a lack of information sharing

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 00:18:52 -0600 (CST)
http://fcw.com/articles/2010/03/03/cybersecurity-policy.aspx

By William Jackson
FCW.com
March 03, 2010

SAN FRANCISCO -- The lack of trust between the public and private
sectors continues to inhibit the sharing of information needed for the
nation to effectively defend against rapidly evolving cyberthreats, a
panel of industry experts and former government officials said Tuesday.

"We need to have more transparency in the public-private partnership,"
said Melissa Hathaway, former White House advisor who conducted last
year's comprehensive review of government cybersecurity. "The trust does
not exist between the two parties."

Hathaway, who now runs her own cybersecurity consulting firm, said
during a panel discussion at the RSA Security Conference that a .safe
space. overseen by a trusted third party is needed to facilitate
sharing.

William Crowell, former National Security Agency deputy director, said
that it should be possible to share information without identifying the
source, to make the parties feel more secure about providing it. "We
need to be able to abstract the information we are are going to share,"
he said. "That's our best approach in the long run."

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/