[ISN] Police website shut amid hacker fears

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 03:21:42 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/crime-courts/police-website-shut-amid-hacker-fears-1.1033505

By Helen McArdle
Herald Scotland

Strathclyde Police was forced to close down its website last night amid
fears it had come under attack from Chinese hackers.

The site went down soon after 6pm as the force's IT team assessed the
threat, which was detected after a number of weblinks appeared that
diverted users to a Chinese site with a history of distributing viruses.

The force said its computer experts were examining an anomaly, but ruled
out a virus as its cause. It added that anyone who logged into the
system yesterday would not have put their computer at risk.

Spokesman Robert Shorthouse said: "This matter is currently being
investigated by our IT engineers. While this is ongoing, we have, as a
precaution, taken the website offline. No other IT systems have been
affected."

Internet users attempting to access the site encountered a
black-and-white screen with a message that the website was "down for
maintenance."

[...]

Black Hat USA 2010, hosted at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada July 24-29th,
offering over 60 training sessions and 11 tracks of Briefings from security
industry elite. To sign up visit www.blackhat.com