[ISN] Experts: Pressure SCADA developers on security as you would software vendors

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 02:03:56 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.csoonline.com/article/682990/experts-pressure-scada-developers-on-security-as-you-would-software-vendors

By George V. Hulme
CSO
May 26, 2011

The discovery of a number of what have been described as serious
vulnerabilities within industrial control systems built by manufacturing
giant Siemens AG -- and the subsequent nixing of a presentation about
those very vulnerabilities -- has raised questions about how the nature
of vulnerability disclosure should -- or shouldn't -- change when it
comes to the security flaws in industrial systems.

As covered earlier this week in our story "A botched fix, not legal
demands, nixed SCADA security talk," NSS Labs researchers pulled a
presentation after a fix Siemens offered failed to mitigate attack. A
day after that story, Dillon Beresford, the NSS Labs researcher who
discovered and reported the flaws took aim at Siemens on the SCADASec
mailing list for downplaying the seriousness of the vulnerabilities.
According to the report "Siemens says it will fix SCADA bugs," the
company is downplaying the SCADA flaws. "While NSS Labs has demonstrated
a high level of professional integrity by providing Siemens access to
its data, these vulnerabilities were discovered while working under
special laboratory conditions with unlimited access to protocols and
controllers," Siemens said.

Beresford countered: "The flaws are not difficult for a typical hacker
to exploit. Also there were no special laboratory conditions with
unlimited access to the protocols. My personal apartment on the wrong
side of town where I can hear gunshots at night hardly defines a special
laboratory. I purchased the controllers with money my company so
graciously provided me with."

In a prior interview with NSS Labs Chief Technology Officer Vikram
Phatak, he told CSOonline that the cost of the equipment was roughly
$2,500. That's certainly a lower bar to uncover SCADA-related flaws than
has been generally discussed.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/