Re: [ISN] Human Errors Fuel Hacking as Test Shows Nothing Stops Idiocy

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 05:17:40 -0700 (MST)
Forwarded from: "Jay Dyson, CISSP" <jdyson (at) jpl.nasa.gov>

[PGP signature likely munged from copy and paste.  - WK]

Hello folks,

I gave a keynote address on this very topic late last year at Penn State's
security conference.  Regrettably, the attitude among many IT personnel toward
user mistakes continues to be demeaning.  Conversely, we IT personnel are often
seen by users as elitist, condescending jackals.  And trust me, we live up to
that reputation...especially when we go on record calling our target audience
"idiots."

I won't disagree that user misconduct is frustrating.  We train them and we
push them to keep security in mind in everything they do.  Yet for all our
efforts, users still fall victim to the allure of easy trappings and innate
human curiosity.  What's more, as the article illustrates, even we security
mavens are not immune to falling for the ruse.

The real problem here lies in prevailing perspectives.  First, we cannot
realistically expect the average user to look at the world the way we do. We
security types are a different animal.  We don't just perceive treachery and
deception, we *expect* it.  Second, we've got the completely wrongheaded view
of our users.  Like it or not, our users are the ones who ensure that we'll
have a job tomorrow, yet we treat them as if they were a curse to our
existence.  In my view, anyone who's helping me keep a roof over my childrens'
heads and food on the table is a valuable ally.

Third, and most importantly, we've got to see our role in not getting through
to our users.  I personally cannot entertain any absurd notions that my users
are idiots when I'm surrounded by Ph.D's.  If there's any fault in the system,
it's one equally shared by those of us delivering the message.  We've got to
become more effective marketers than our adversaries.  Our attackers are
getting through to our users in ways we have yet to rival.  Odd as it may
sound, we've got to develop and adopt strategies in which we can leverage the
same common human proclivities that the attackers exploit, only to our own
advantage.

...or we can keep doing what we've been doing for the past several decades:
look down our collective noses at users, continue to run around in crisis mode,
and count the cost of the losses.

- From where I stand, it seems hypocritical that we demand our users learn from
their mistakes when we have yet to do so ourselves.

Sincerely,

Jay Dyson, CISSP
IT Security Engineer
JPL IT Security Group