[ISN] Microsoft: We're not vulnerable to DDoS attacks

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 00:21:29 -0700 (MST)
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/76023

By Ms. Smith
Privacy and Security Fanatic
Network World
07/06/11

Uh-oh. There's nothing quite like throwing down the gauntlet and
virtually taunting hackers to prove a proud boast is false. In what some
attackers might consider a dare, John Howie, Microsoft's senior director
in the Online Services Security & Compliance (OSSC) team, basically
claimed that Microsoft sites are unhackable and can't be DDoSed.

According to Microsoft, "rookie mistakes" by Sony and security firm RSA
caused the corporations to be brought down by hackers. Howie told
Computing News that Sony was coded badly and failed to patch its
servers. "These are rookie mistakes," Howie said.  In regards to the
breach at RSA, Howie stated, "RSA got hacked because someone got
socially engineered and opened a dodgy email attachment. A rookie
mistake."

Howie added, "At Microsoft we have robust mechanisms to ensure we don't
have unpatched servers. We have training for staff so they know how to
be secure and be wise to social engineering. We have massively overbuilt
our internet capacity, this protects us against DoS attacks. We won't
notice until the data column gets to 2GB/s, and even then we won't sweat
until it reaches 5GB/s. Even then we have edge protection to shun
addresses that we suspect of being malicious."

In other Microsoft security news, after analyzing 600 million computers
worldwide, Microsoft released Volume 10 of its Security Intelligence
Report (SIR). It focuses on malware, software vulnerability disclosures,
vulnerability exploits, and related trends. The majority of all
vulnerabilities in 2010 were vulnerabilities in applications versus
operating systems or web browsers. Exploiting Java vulnerabilities
topped the list of exploitation categories over generic HTML/scripting
exploits, operating system exploits, and document exploits. Adobe
Acrobat and Reader accounted for the highest number of document format
exploits. Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 had the lowest operating
system infection rate for both client and server platforms. 64-bit
versions of Windows 7 which "appeal to a more technically savvy audience
than their 32-bit counterparts" have the lowest infection rates.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/