[ISN] FBI official calls for alternate Internet to secure critical systems

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 01:09:41 -0500 (CDT)
http://gcn.com/articles/2011/10/24/fbi-official-alternate-internet.aspx

By Kathleen Hickey
GCN.com
Oct 24, 2011

The United States needs an alternate, transparent, restricted Internet
if it is to secure the critical systems that handle such things as
utilities and financial transactions, an FBI official says.

Shawn Henry, the bureau’s executive assistant director, speaking at the
International Systems Security Association conference recently, said the
increasing numbers of cyber threats continue to outpace efforts to
defend critical computer systems. These efforts are further hampered by
the anonymity of the Internet.

“We can't tech our way out of the cyber threat," Henry said, according
to the Associated Press. "The challenge with the Internet is you don't
know who's launching the attack."

Earlier this month, the Government Accountability Office released a
report stating that information security incidents at 24 federal
agencies have increased 650 percent during the past five years due to a
combination of more numerous threats and persistent shortcomings in
security controls, GCN reported.

[...]