[ISN] Insulin pump hack delivers fatal dosage over the air

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:33:16 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/27/fatal_insulin_pump_attack/

By Dan Goodin in San Francisco
The Register
27th October 2011

In a hack fitting of a James Bond movie, a security researcher has
devised an attack that hijacks nearby insulin pumps so he can
surreptitiously deliver fatal doses to diabetic patients who rely on
them.

The attack on wireless insulin pumps, made by medical devices giant
Medtronic, was demonstrated Tuesday at theHacker Halted conference in
Miami. It was delivered by McAfee's Barnaby Jack, the same researcher
who last year showed how take control of two widely used models of
automatic teller machines so he could to cause them to spit out a steady
stream of dollar bills.

Jack's latest hack works on most recent Medtronic insulin pumps, because
they contain tiny radio transmitters that allow patients and doctors to
adjust their functions. It builds on research presented earlier this
year that allowed the wireless commandeering of the devices when an
attacker was within a few feet of the patient, and knew the serial
number of his pump. Software and a special antenna designed by Jack
allows him to locate and seize control of any device within 300 feet,
even when he doesn't know the serial number.

"With this device I created and the software I created, I could actually
instruct the pump to perform all manner of commands," Jack told The
Register. "I could make it dispense its entire reservoir of insulin,
which is about 300 units. I just scan for any devices in the vicinity
and they will respond with the serial number of the device."

[...]