[ISN] The security threat Stephen King warned us about?

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 03:54:35 -0600 (CST)
http://www.csoonline.com/article/696293/the-security-threat-stephen-king-warned-us-about-

By Taylor Armerding
CSO
December 12, 2011

Most people know that their computers and smart phones are under the
constant threat of attack from hackers. But your car? Your house? Your
TV and other consumer electronics?

It seems like a take on Stephen King's short story "Trucks" -- where
machines come to life and go on a murderous rampage (the movie version
was "Maximum Overdrive"). In this case, hackers find security flaws in
the computers running our vehicles, appliances and medical devices and
wreak havoc.

The real threat is far less dramatic, of course. But just a couple years
ago, few people were seriously talking about this as a danger that might
someday come to pass. As we look to 2012, however, the potential seems a
lot less ridiculous, since our electronics increasingly tend to be part
of a home network with an IP address -- one that can be controlled by a
mobile device.

Some experts in information security believe 2012 will be a year when
hackers focus more on those things.

Anup Ghosh, CEO of Invincea, says that, "in the search for more
interesting devices to hack, the adversary is going to transition from
traditional IT networks to embedded systems, which we normally think of
as physical systems -- your car, TVs, your house, your office building.
Systems that are networked and run a lot of software will be fertile
ground for hackers."

[...]