[ISN] Is Your SCADA Vulnerable to a Cyber Attack? Call 1-800-USA-0DAY

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 03:41:46 -0600 (CST)
http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/292708-is-your-scada-vulnerable-to-a-cyber-attack-call-1-800-usa-0day

[I'm scratching my head a little as 800-USA-0DAY has been in use since
2006, and held by phone sex company with some 3 million 8**#. Should you
call the number in question, you can talk with 'fun people' as I'm sure
SCADA hackers can be loads of good cheer!   - WK]

By Sara Yin
SecurityWatch
Jan 11, 2012

"You can't change a password or your lights will go out!" yelled out a
woman sitting in the audience of a workshop on how to secure a SCADA
system. The woman identified herself as an engineer at a New York
electric company.

"It would take us 5 years and $25 million to change a SCADA system," she
said.

Her comments were in response to a presentation delivered by Blake
Cornell, an independent security researcher speaking at the third annual
International Conference on Cyber Security here in New York City.

In recent years, we've seen an alarming number of breaches (and
misreports) into critical infrastructure of industrial control systems,
like electric and power grids, known simply as SCADA (Supervisory
Control and Data Acquisition). Stuxnet, that enduring,
infrastructure-targeting beast of a computer worm that crippled Iran's
nuclear facilities in 2010, probably comes to mind first. Duqu, another
worm believed to be written by the same authors, was programmed to steal
industrial trade secrets. Together the worms have infected around
100,000 computers equipped with Siemens PLCs and Windows-based
industrial software.

[...]