[ISN] NHS fined £375k after stolen patient data flogged on eBay

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 05:01:59 -0600 (CST)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/13/nhs_fined_stolen_data/

By OUT-LAW.COM
The Register
13th January 2012

The Information Commissioner is proposing to issue its heaviest ever
fine for a breach of UK data protection laws. It proposes fining a
health body after patient records were stolen from a hospital and sold
on eBay.

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust told Out-Law.com that
hard drives containing patient data had been sold on the auction website
by a contractor it employed to destroy them. A spokesperson for the
Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) said the watchdog had proposed
fining the Trust £375,000 over the incident. The Trust has challenged
the suggested penalty. "We were the victims of a crime," Duncan Selbie,
chief executive of Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust
said in a statement. "We subcontracted the destruction of these hard
drives to a registered contractor who subsequently sold them on eBay."

"As soon as we were alerted to this we informed the police and with
their help we recovered all the hard drives stolen by this individual,"
he said. "We are confident that there is a very low risk of any of the
data from them having passed into the public domain. We have
subsequently received a Notice from the Information Commissioner’s
Office proposing a fine of £375,000 which we are, in the circumstances,
challenging."

Under the Data Protection Act (DPA) organisations must take "appropriate
technical and organisational measures ... against unauthorised or
unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or
destruction of, or damage to, personal data". The law requires
organisations to be extra protective over sensitive personal data, such
as patient medical records. In a statement the ICO said it is "currently
making inquiries into a possible breach of the Data Protection Act and
is unable to speculate on what action will be taken at this time."

[...]