Re: [ISN] Stratfor relaunches site; CEO accuses attackers of censorship

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 05:04:10 -0600 (CST)
Forwarded from: Richard Forno <rforno (at) infowarrior.org>

: "We are now in a world in which anonymous judges, jurors and executioners can
: silence whom they want," Friedman said in the video. "This is a new censorship that
: doesn't come openly from governments but from people hiding behind masks."

Zut alors!  Friedman's description of things could be applied to the
Internet community's views on how SOPA or PIPA were drafted and how the
blacklist provisions contained therein would, if enacted, create the
very world Friedman writes of -- " a world in which anonymous judges,
jurors and executioners can silence whom they want,"  The only
difference is that with SOPA/PIPA, instead of hiding behind symbolic
masks, those inflicting this damage upon various Internet entities are
hiding behind well-heeled lobbyists funded by the Hollywood
cartels....so I guess that's okay, because they're the "good guys",
right?

Talking like that, I wonder if Friedman's purposely baiting the
attackers (Anonymous or whomever) to come at them again for one reason
or other.  I could almost hear the late gravelly-throated Don LaFontaine
reading that line to me in a Stratfor preview video of their new
research product on evil cyber haxors: "in a wooooorld in which.....only
one man......one firm.....has the insights and analytical capability to
help protect you from them."

: He criticized the hackers for taking advantage of the Internet's anonymity to attack
: companies and lamented the lack of accountability on the Net. "The attempt to silence us : has failed," a defiant Friedman said. "Our website is back, our email is working [and] we
: are restoring our archives," he said. "We will continue to publish our analysis."

Again, he's rather blatantly sticking this finger into the hornet's
nest.  For what reason, besides reactionary ego or a lack of
forethought?  As such, it will not surprise me to hear that Stratfor
gets popped again at some point.  I have nothing to do with Anonymous,
and I'm neither condemning nor condoning the incident, but if he's
smart, Friedman really should not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

-- rick

---