[ISN] Security Teams Need Better Intel, More Offense

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 00:53:51 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.darkreading.com/advanced-threats/167901091/security/vulnerabilities/232900905/security-teams-need-better-intel-more-offense.html

By Robert Lemos
Contributing Writer
Dark Reading
April 24, 2012

The recipe for a cyberattack is straightforward: Attackers gather
intelligence on the target's systems, research vulnerabilities, exploit
those weaknesses, gain control of the systems, and conduct
post-exploitation operations.

Yet, for the first three parts of attackers' operations, most defenders
do nothing. Only after attackers act on a corporate network -- the
fourth step -- does a victim's security team becomes aware of the
attack. In a presentation at the SOURCE Boston security conference last
week, independent security consultant Iftach Ian Amit told attendees
that defenders need to do better.

"We are basically just waiting to be attacked," he said.

Increasingly, security experts are recommending that companies become
more aggressive in gathering information on their attackers. Companies
need to gather or buy intelligence on adversaries and should consider
more active counter intelligence operations, Amit said. Rather than
hunker down behind the firewall, like defenders of a medieval castle,
security analysts should explore the landscape. To match attackers'
first steps, defenders should model their organization's threats, gather
intelligence and correlate the data to pinpoint possible threats, he
said.

"We can be much more active" in defending our networks, Amit said.
"Counter intel is fair game ... Everything around is yours; you better
know everything that goes on out there."

[...]

LayerOne Security Conference
May 26-27, Clarion Hotel, Anaheim, CA
http://www.layerone.org