[ISN] Chinese and US security chiefs move to defuse cyber Cold War

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 00:25:46 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2173196/chinese-security-chiefs-defuse-cyber-cold-war

By Alastair Stevenson
V3.co.uk

US and Chinese defence ministers have met in an effort to quell growing
rumblings that the two countries are on the brink of cyber war and
instead promote their work together on cyber issues affecting both
nations.

US defence secretary Leon Panetta and Chinese general Liang Guanglie met
in Washington on Monday and during a press conference said the two
nations are working together to ensure a new cyber Cold War doesn't
ensue.

"Because the US and China have developed technological capabilities in
this arena, it's extremely important that we work together to develop
ways to avoid any miscalculation or misperception that could lead to
crisis in this area," said Panetta.

"We agreed that obviously there are other countries, there are hackers,
there are others that are involved in some of the attacks that both of
our countries receive."

Liang went on to criticise the Western media, reiterating the Chinese
government's stance that the country is being unfairly portrayed as the
primary source of cyber attacks on the western world.

[...]

LayerOne Security Conference
May 26-27, Clarion Hotel, Anaheim, CA
http://www.layerone.org