[ISN] iiNet suffers two security vulnerabilities, users spammed

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 01:09:49 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.zdnet.com/au/iinet-suffers-two-security-vulnerabilities-users-spammed-7000005219/

By Michael Lee
ZDNet
October 4, 2012

iiNet experienced a breach of its 3FL gaming forums in June this year,
just prior to its merger with Internode's games.on.net site, but failed
to inform its customers.

iiNet is alleged to have attempted to cover up the breach, with an
unnamed source forwarding to Australian tech news site Delimiter an
internal iiNet email sent by iiNet Operations Centre Supervisor Paul
Guidera, which instructed staff to put in place a communications
block-out. It is not clear whether this was meant to only apply while an
investigation was in place, but iiNet never publicly came forward to
announce a breach of its systems.

iiNet declined ZDNet's invitation to respond to allegations of a cover
up, and when asked for an official statement about the breach of the
systems, we were instead pointed to a comment made by iiNet CTO John
Lindsay on Delimiter.

Lindsay's comments confirm that a breach took place, stating that the
attacked gained entry via "an unpatched hole in PHP."

"Upon finding this, we shut down the forum immediately. No financial
information was stored on this database. We didn't handle the external
communications well after this incident, and have made changes to our
internal policies," he said.

[...]

--
Certified Ethical Hacker and CISSP with ExpandingSecurity.com gives the best
training and support. Last 2012 CISSP and CEH starts Oct. 1! Take action now