[ISN] UK.gov: 'Foreign cyber reconnaissance' underway in UK

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 04:50:09 -0600 (CST)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/04/cyber_security_strategy/

By John Leyden
The Register
4th December 2012

Foreign states may already have used malware to map the networks that
support the UK's critical infrastructure systems, the government
admitted.

The admission by government officials came in the run-up to a
parliamentary statement by Cabinet Office minister, Francis Maude,
marking the first anniversary of the UK's government's National Cyber
Security Strategy.

Maude highlighted future work on a new UK National Computer Emergency
Response team, further work on education and skills, Cyber Reservists
for the MoD and a partnership with the private sector to boost the cyber
security sector in the UK. He pointed out that the private sector is the
largest economic victim of crime-crime, such as IP theft, and from
economic espionage perpetrated through cyberspace, as well as
highlighting efforts to improvement the protection of the UK's critical
infrastructure in a written statement to parliament on Monday (3
December).

"We have invested in new and unique capabilities for GCHQ to identify
and analyse hostile cyber attacks in order to protect our core networks
and services and support the UK’s wider cyber security mission," Maude
said. "I cannot reveal details of this work, but it has broadened and
deepened our understanding of the threat, helping us prioritise and
direct defensive efforts."

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org